Please rename /e/ to something pronounceable & searchable

whahah
Icefish could work though, or something similar

Well here in UK, juvenile European eels are known variously as elvers and glass eels. The latter would be a link back to @GaelDuval 's original Eelo idea.

5 Likes

Has been Jellyfish OS inspired by a similar idea, too?

1 Like

perhaps. Despite the fact that i like the animal theme, i still think ā€˜eOSā€™ for ā€˜ethical OSā€™ would be the best choice, by the way

Arenā€™t these discussions just academic by now? I thought I read that a name had already been decided but not announced.

Iā€™m on your side, @Vaughan. But a forum is made also for chatting, isnā€™t it ?

Just saying. If people want to try and undo a done deal itā€™s no skin off my nose.

Before anyone else decides to comment with one of these things:

1. reasons the current name is bad

2. suggestion for a new name

3. asking for an eta on new name

please keep this in mind:

1. the team knows, /e/ is a placeholder

2. a new name HAS ALREADY BEEN REGISTERED, suggesting one now is a waste of your valuable time

3. the eta on the new name was the beginning of the year, but COVID messed with that

6 Likes

soā€¦ what is the new name? At least tell us please?

2 Likes

Maybe eSoulutions, that is the shop nameā€¦ Covid will last at least another year. So the team will be hindering themselves with the useless name for even longer.

There is nothing you can do. ĀÆ\(惄)/ĀÆ

The later the project is renamed, the more complex the renaming becomes. :thinking:

1 Like

The latter of those two quotes was not 50 messages above my original one, but rather 3. Might I suggest reading the thread a little (or at the very least using CTRL + F) before wasting the time of others?

1 Like

I am not suggesting a new name. I will wait until one is published!

But until then the project (or an important release) could at least use an unique codename. Like for example ā€œLonghornā€ at Microsoft.

Am I totally wrong?

Guys, the name is already here:

/e/ OS or even eOSā€¦you decideā€¦

:laughing: Ha, worse part of 2020 other then big stuff, the little thing of searching for /e/ [launcher,"instant messenger ",backup] app or review how to :sweat_smile: Iā€™m a newb.

I have read your postā€¦ I am not talking about any new name suggestions though I have one. But all you said is ā€œa new name has already been registeredā€, and what is it?

Do you mean they just use /e/OS and eOS instead of /e/?

Seriously, is this even a name change?

1 Like

Yes, I think so;
at this point I donā€™t think a new name will come along as a replacement

heckā€¦ well although itā€™s painful, I must admit thatā€™s true. There are too many stuffs linked to /e/, changing all the names takes lots of time and energyā€¦

I have already brought up that point, but I donā€™t see a reason why it is impossible to rebrand a fully fleshed-out version of the ā€œ/e/OSā€ once its launched. Plus, a brand separation of some sort would single the V1 out as an independent system that ā€œstands on its own two feetā€

I have to metion that I detest the idea of simply calling the software the ā€œ/e/OSā€, even though I used this name earlier in the post for lack of a universially accepted alternative. There is SO much potential in different ideas, which all have been proposed ealier in this thread! It would be a shame if this creativity and potential is wasted just because the foundation wasnā€™t quick enough to decide on an option. I repead myself at this point but I donā€™t believe that a rebranding or brand seperation (between the projekt and the stand-alone software) would do damage eapecially in the now infamous ā€œ/e/ā€ theme is retained.

E.g. my very own proposals:

Last but not least: I am very disapointed, that despite multiple requests the official name has not yet been released. I do get it, that the non-relase might be due to marketing strategies, but I still would like to see that the managers react in some way to the now multiple request for answers by the community. I might add: If the name turns out to be something different than ā€œeOSā€, every day that passes, makes it harter to rebrand than it already is!

1 Like