Poor battery life on refurbished S9

I bought a refurbished S9 about a month ago, and it has been great, with the exception that the battery life is pretty poor (in my opinion).

I have not installed a lot of apps, and I really don’t use my phone much. With wifi/bluetooth off, battery optimization on for all apps, screen brightness a bit lower than normal, etc, if I don’t touch my phone at all, it will last for almost 48 hours. However, if I check it occasionally just to read incoming messages (no web browsing, etc), I can barely make it to the end of the day.

If I look at what apps are using the battery, the top ones are Telegram FOSS and Element. I know that mail, Task, Calendar, AntennaPod, Joplin and ownCloud need to sync periodically, but they don’t show up as heavy users (maybe they keep the system awake though…).

So, my question is:

1. Is this normal for the S9?
  2. If yes, is there anything that I can do to reduce the system usage (like change the screen resolution or something)?
  3. If this is not normal, are refurbished phones supposed to come with a new battery, or the original?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

In my experience, this is fairly “normal”. The App AccuBattery is a pretty good (albeit imperfect) tool to assist you in learning what apps/processes are sucking battery life and determining the current battery capacity.

For example, my bought-new S9 has around 90% capacity left- but it’s still an older device which has been sitting in a box for a number of years. The capacity is to be reasonably expected. As your device is previously used-refurbished, it may have less capacity so even when you charge to 100%, it will drain faster.

As an aside, if you find that the /e/OS Bliss Launcher to be a culprit, consider an alternative launcher called Discreet Launcher (found on F-Droid)- it is no-frills, but light on battery use. I use it on my S6 which has only a 65% battery capacity!

Hope this helps and good luck!

Same Problem here. S9 bought new 3 months ago. Battery drains fast, hard to get along one day. When reaching 15% device shuts off. Disabling the power saving fixed this, but still no good battery life.
Oreo 0.15

In my case it helped to disable the location permission of Bliss Starter and setting the synchronization of the weather widget on manual.

Hello @Daddy

Upgrading to e/OS Q might be helpful. The general experience from what I’ve read in these forums is that Oreo is quite a bit more battery intensive than “Q”.

I should’ve mentioned in my post above that I’m running /e/OS Q- I made the assumption that @mrak was also running ‘Q’ as well, which may not be the case.

I will try this. Thanks

No, I’m running Oreo, which is what was shipped on my 2-month old phone from e-solutions. There is no updater available to update to pie or Q. I presume that this can be done manually, but I bought a phone through e-solutions because I didn’t want to waste my time doing this myself !

This is just to let everyone know that the new eos 0.16 release has DOUBLED the battery life of my S9 refurb (which is still on Oreo).

With 0.14 and 0.15, I was getting about 1.5 day autonomy with almost everything turned off and with very little screen time. Now, I can get up to 4 days, even after turning location services for Bliss back on…

I’m not sure what the change was (the battery usage stats look almost the same as before), but thanks!