Poor or no GPS location quality on S9 (SM-G960F)

I have two S9 phones, one with /e/OS installed and a S9 (company phone) with original the stock OS (untouched) on it.

The /e/OS phone has e_starlte-user 10 QQ3A.200805.001 eng.root.20230204.011449 dev-keys,stable-release running.

All the apps that use GPS on the /e/OS phone don’t get the correct location or show messages that no gps location is found. Therefore, on both phones I have installed the GPSTest app (see https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.gpstest) from App Lounge and Google Play respectively.

Having those phones next to each other against the window, the /e/OS phone take a lot of time to show only very few satellites, while the other phone with stock rom almost immediately shows many satellites:

Under “Manage my location” in advanced privacy settings I have it configured as “Use my real location” and in another place my location is set to be exposed.

Why is the /e/OS phone not able to get more satellites and more quickly? More importantly, what can be done to improve it? Any help would be appreciated!

2 Likes

Hello !

May be it’s this bug (or related) ? GPS no more working on S9+ for some apps since 1.2 (#5984) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab

Discovered on a S9+ after updating to 1.2 Q dev, in July 2022, 7 months ago.
No single step towards resolution until now, apart from this heavy suspicion towards microG (which was not proved in my humble opinion, AFAIK and AFAIU)
Currently assigned to the chief dev of microG.

No answer at all about when this could be fixed or at least examined seriously … which is quite unfair, impolite, more than disappointing … even contemptuous (7 months with no reliable GPS) on e-OS flagship phones (S9 / S9+ / One … see the Murena store) and inconsistent / conflicting with e-OS promises (/e/OS - e Foundation - deGoogled unGoogled smartphone operating systems and online services - your data is your data : “… keeping your data private shouldn’t mean forgoing your digital experience.” as an example).

I know that e-OS dev team is working very hard, but why spending so much time on adding more phones to the list of “compatible” ones (200+ ?), forking apps for cosmetic reasons or secondary features, … whereas some mandatory features don’t work on flagship phones (no only about S9(+), or One … see FP3 and 4 in community forum) ?

1 Like

Thanks Jean-Philippe, this issue seems related. GPS is quite essential for several apps.
I noticed that my login for this community is not working on GitLab, but would it be helpful that I comment there too and link to this post? Perhaps it helps the developers to know that more people experience problems with GPS, I could imagine that most of them don’t bother to post or didn’t find related topic either in this community or on GitLab.

1 Like

Yes, it would for sure be helpful : I suppose the more reports, the more pressure to solve the issue :slight_smile: .
You actually need to create an account on e-OS GitLab to be able to comment (or create) an issue : any email address seems OK as an Id for that, your murena.io one included.

1 Like