Problem with e installation on Samsung galaxy S10+

I have another smartphone that I can use. I’m just asking if I prefer to send back the new one or keep it.
But I think I shouldn’t take any risks with the smartphone. I looked again phone infor (Settings …) to see if I have the right model, which I do have.
As described in this forum post (Samsung - Galaxy S10+ - beyond2lte - Documentation Suggestions - #9 by Xenthos), this must be the SM-G975F/DS.

Hello, thank you for the answer. I will try.

Someone had a similar problem recently (can’t remember on which phone) and the cable/port was the culprit…

Then again someone had the same issue as you with a S10 recently: /e/OS Installation: Signature verification failed (error: 21)

Thank you very much. Then I can only hope that it is really the cable.

If it is the second report, then of course I have a problem.

grafik
I would like to ask a short question at this point. Does the recovery look like in the image?
If yes, it could be that the error could be right there, because I don’t see this picture. But for me it looks much more like a line interface with several entries in blue.

If that were the reason, it would also be clear why the signature cannot be verified. I assume that the recovery tool of /e/ does exactly that, and I probably end up with the one from Samsung, which it just can’t do.

E: Signature verification failed
E: error: 21

Is not itself a problem …

Install from ADB completed with status 2.
Installation aborted.

Is the point of failure … as if the recovery is wrong / non-functional in some way.

But now your image of e-recovery is e-recovery but why is it showing version 0.14 ?. [1]

I think I would be going back to reinstall recovery, and double checking all pre-install instructions at the same time. Ensure your battery level is at over 60%-70% at all times.

Was the phone newly delivered to you ? Had you had it online (and preferably with a SIM card) to have the phone make some connection with Samsung remote monitoring ? (I always think that instructions are written from the point of view that you have had the phone in normal use for a minimum of 7 days before attempting a Custom ROM). Hence the reason for

[1] Edit I am not a user of e-recovery, perhaps someone could chip in with current version numbering seen on their phone

Yes, /E/ Recovery is like in the picture… If you don’t see it then you don’t have /E/ Recovery installed… and I suppose you try to install the /E/ OS ROM using the original phone recovery… which of course doesn’t recognize the ROM…

And then you get to my first post:
"Most of the problems with Samsung phones come after the writing of /E/ OS recovery because the phone reboots automatically and if you don’t pres the right key combination the phones erases the /E/ OS recovery. "

On flashing my S9+ I had to repeat the flash of /E/ recovery at least 4 times (and I’m quick)…

Wonderful! Then I have exactly two good points to start from. On the one hand the cable that I will test and then of course the e-recovery, which will be the probable explanation for the problem. I’ll get back to you when I get there. Thanks!

I’m sorry that I wasted some of your time here too. I got the picture from the forum, where “my” (similar) problem was described by another user. From there I got the “version 0.14” picture.

I think @Cooler was right, and I started the Samsung stock recovery instead of the /e/ recovery. :man_facepalming:

I have to look again more closely if I really get the ROM transferred to the smartphone.

I will report.

That’s all quite complicated. If I think about it, I have installed /e/OS and other custom ROMs on Samsung S4, S6 edge, S8+ and S9+. So far, I have always managed to do it. I am confident, with all your help, I will somehow manage it again.

S10 series is not covered by this well but old howto where the step about flashing “vbmeta.img” along with “recovery.img” is missing.

Do you use Linux, Windows or macOS ?

Is this a prerequisite to flashing? I want to flash Lineage OS on some phones and have been wondering about the necessity/importance of vbmeta.
I’ve putted Lineage OS with microg on a OP5 previously having /E/ OS not fashing vbmeta.img and it works.

Yes for recent Samsung (since the s10 series)

What about other phones (SONY for instance)? I’ve seen vbmeta.img on a lot of phones…
Sorry for hijacking the thread…

I use Linux for the installation.

Maybe it is more since android 10 ? (i only practice samsung)

Linux instructions from @corsicanu official maintainer of the device

https://xdaforums.com/t/recovery-official-3-6-1-x-twrp-for-galaxy-s10-e-5g-exynos.4180287/

Install heimdall & additional required packages:

Code:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install heimdall-flash android-tools-fastboot android-tools-adb libusb-0.1-4 libusb-1.0-0 libusb-1.0-0-dev

If you already have the bootloader unlocked you can skip to step 6.

1. Make sure OEM Unlock is ON in developer settings;
  2. Turn off the phone;
  3. Use vol down + bixby key + usb cable plugged to a pc to start the phone in download mode;
  4. Long press vol up then confirm you want to unlock bootloader (this is needed one time only);
    5.** Please be aware all your data will be erased including internal storage and phone will reboot!!**
  5. Let the phone boot normally, pass the setup and connect to internet (wireless or mobile data) in order to unlock RMM;
  6. Make sure OEM Unlock is ON in developer settings;
  7. Turn off the phone;
  8. Use vol down + bixby key + usb cable plugged to a pc to start the phone in download mode, short press vol up to confirm you want to go to download mode;
    10.** If by any chance you see RMM state=Prenormal or KG state=Prenormal, redo from step 5!**
  9. Download appropriate TWRP .img file according to your device
  10. Download avb disabled vbmeta .img
  11. Open your preferred terminal in linux and type (replace red lines with the path of downloaded img files):

Code:

sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY /path/to/recovery.img --VBMETA /path/to/vbmeta.img

and press enter - once you press enter grab the phone and press vol up + bixby + power to force it boot straight in TWRP after flashing

!! Only if coming from full stock firmware

• In TWRP home screen press wipe - format data - yes
  • Download and flash multidisabler-samsung-3.* zip to disable security and encryption.
1 Like

It is working now. Thanks everybody for helping me.
I used a new cable (not sure that this was the cause of the problem) and redid all instructions.
I guess, I have made a mistake during the “Pre-Install Instructions” (https://doc.e.foundation/devices/beyond2lte/install)

At step 3 Power off the device, and boot it into download mode:

hold Volume Down + Bixby and connect USB cable to PC
Now, click the button that the onscren instructions coorelate to “Continue” and/or “Unlock Bootloader”.

was most likely where I made a mistake. This time I used a long press to unlock the bootloader. The device really needs to say that it will unlock the bootloader. It will look different and give warning not shown before.

In summary.

• The instructions given by the e.foundation are correct.
    • There is a risk to brick the device if you do not follow the instruction
    • Make sure you really have a compatible device (SM-975F/DS)
  • There is no need for further images or tools. For Linux users: It does not harm if you install the heimdall & additional required packages as stated by piero (Problem with e installation on Samsung galaxy S10+ - #26 by piero)
  • having a short (< 1.5 m) new data cable is a must-have
  • If the screen does not look like the one at step Problem with e installation on Samsung galaxy S10+ - #14 by tyxo there is no point to proceed. With “Steps to install /e/OS from recovery”. Go back to the start and read everything carefully again before you perform a step.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.