Problems Sending/Receiving MMS and Group Messages

Sure. … It is “240.”

thanks for mnc clarification. The Lineage+/e/ apn entries are aligned with what the Ting APN docs propose, or am I missing something?

What private DNS do you use when the setting is active? ipv4 or hostname (the latter is a good idea btw)?

I made a sanity check with my own carrier (Vodafone DE), enabled private DNS + mms sending, it was possible.

If you want to dig deeper, enabling adb root in the devoptions and installing tcpdump to see which packets go unanswered on the enabled private DNS will maybe give a hint

When compared to @aibd’s extraction above, yes (although it also shows a separate MMS APN, which is no longer valid for Ting’s new X3 SIM, if I understand).

When compared to the Gitlab link you posted, no.

I’m on .018-q unofficial for XZ1 Compact, so I’m not sure which APN settings are built in. I do recall that I originally had to create the Ting Data APN manually in order to get internet connectivity, though.

I was using “9.9.9.9” as the preferred DNS resolver, and had data, but no MMS.

1 Like

Must depend on carrier plan, cause i can’t see the switch, even with data off and wifi connected
in France using Sosh provider ( owned by Orange ) my revokable plan include voice calls & SMS/MMS unlimited, data LTE/4g speed reduced after 70go/month = 25€ + 5€ ( for a second SIM, that use the same call number as the first one for voice calls, but a different call number for SMS/MMS ). using Orange network and Orange APN

No, I think you have to exclude my three European (German) options.

Say we assume the other two of five in the source might be USA, let’s drop in those two (from the source apns-conf.xml), and you have mnc=240, #2 has it - or not? If the source is not up to date, well, Ting’s job again: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/config/update.

<apn carrier="Ting" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.t8.ispsn"
type="default,supl,mms"
mmsc="http://mms.plspictures.com" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80"
protocol="IPV4V6" roaming_protocol="IPV4V6" />

<apn carrier="Ting Data" mcc="310" mnc="240" apn="wireless.dish.com"
mmsc="http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc"
protocol="IPV4V6" roaming_protocol="IPV4V6" type="default,admin,fota,mms,supl,hipri,internet,dun"

Thanks, or your (…) device?

I can’t remembrer details off my fisrt s7edge device
Mostly experienced on relatively ancient devices :
Samsung Galaxy s4mini, s4, s5mini, s5,
android 7, 9, 10, 11

You’ve lost me there. Ting is a U.S. MVNO. (And you posted the Ting info in your extraction.)

Well I am sorry, I did not mean to deceive you! I was really demonstrating the method I used to extract some data from my device. Still partly in answer to

… well with global modifications perhaps?

I thought Ting was a USA outfit too, I extracted

numeric='310260'

from [mcc=“310” mnc=“260”] quoted,

and so on … then found Ting has a German footprint, but not a USA one on my device.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I understand what you’re saying, although I don’t have any experience with adb.

I suspect it’s because Ting is one of the few U.S. MVNOs that has international roaming agreements.

BTW, I said earlier that Ting runs on T-mobile USA’s network, but they also use Verizon’s network for customers that don’t have good T-mobile coverage at their home. I don’t know which APN settings are in effect in that case. Possibly the same as the published X3 settings. I wonder if that could also be reflected in the source APN file…? (But that’s neither here nor there, really.)

P.S. I didn’t mention it in my original post, but I had the same issue with Mint Mobile (another MVNO on T-mobile USA). :confused:

as using tcpdump can be daunting - can you go through some of the popular public resolver to cross check?

Setting an ipv4 will disable your private DNS in a network when only ipv6 is routed. Quad9 offers hostname resolution, this will give you reachability on both stacks. So if you test with quad9, cloudflare, google… besides the easy to remember ipv4s, can you also check with the hostname? For quad this is dns.quad9.net or one.one.one.one for cloudflare, dns.google for the 8.8.8.8 ones.

I’ll try some of those… but Evil Corp (Google) will not be one of them. :rofl:

Edit: Well, the host names for Cloudflare and Quad9 don’t help, even after reboot; MMS is still inoperative. Switching back to network-provided DNS gets MMS working again after reboot.

To be precise, I now have Private DNS set to “Automatic,” and the setting “Allow to use DNS from network provider” enabled. I’m not sure if that engages Private DNS whenever possible. (Does it…?)

Quick, late question. Do you use a VPN or anything like that? Seen no mention of it so probably not.
Depending on ROM, I’ve had issues with group and MMS messages but it was apparently due to the use of VPN or DNScrypt or whatever.

The following is a big what if but wouldn’t hurt to try.
In my case, it would seem the IP address of my mmsc address was being changed, causing problems with MMS.
So for instance, my T-Mobile mmsc has the hostname of mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com. While using a VPN or alternate (Private?) DNS the IP would be 208.54.151.170 (public).
Found by going into a terminal and using ping -c4 some.hostname.com.

Disabling the VPN or turning Private DNS off, reboot to flush DNS cache and ping the mmsc hostname again.
Now the IP is 10.188.239.158. I would take that or similar address and put it into the MMS proxy field of my APN. MMS would then work. Then I would reenable VPN or Private DNS or whatever. Still worked.
I say similar because the phone I got that IP address from is using an address that ends in 160. Seems to change after awhile.

But anyway, like I said, it wouldn’t hurt to try this angle.

1 Like

Not currently. I do use TrackerControl, which uses the VPN slot, but turning it off has no effect on my issue. I thought of that. :wink:

Allowing network (carrier) DNS is the only thing that brings back MMS functionality for me.

Sorry, my post was premature. I added more content.

1 Like

So, was browsing through the DivestOS FAQ and saw this little bit. Kind of fits the situation maybe?

Why haven’t you completely changed the default DNS servers?

Currently Quad9 (after trying many other public resolvers) is used for DNS fallback and for tethering. Switching it by default for cell would break VoLTE, SMS, MMS, and Visual Voicemail. And switching it for Wi-Fi could potentially break access to some LAN devices.

2 Likes

@Taurus my setup is Mint Mobile, ProtonVPN (wireguard), and NextDNS, which I believe was proposed when you and I were trying to figure out the S9 issues. I haven’t had as many MMS issues with that (a few where I know I didn’t get group texts), but most of my trouble seems to be linked to QKSMS itself not wanting to send the full size photo. If VPN and DNS is linked to the issue, this is the first I’ve heard of it. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Hello,

I’m a relatively new Fairphone 4 Murena /e/os user in the USA. I started out on Murena Mobile, which is an MVNO for T-Mobile here in the US.

I canceled my Murena Mobile account and got a T-Mobile account because I didn’t immediately port my old phone number to the new phone, and when I was ready to port my number, the only way Murena (apparently implemented by Gig Mobile) was able to help me port my number to my new phone was to suggest I sign up for a new Murena account. So I got a regular T-Mobile SIM and deactivated the MurenaT-MobileMVNO/Gig digital sim.

I’ve noticed that I can send an image to one person, but if I get sent an image or a group text, I sometimes get a received date/time stamp in that person’s text stream, but it’s empty of content. My texts sent to groups don’t arrive for the other recipients.

The first culprit in other posts seems to be Private DNS settings. I don’t use a VPN. My phone has 4 options under Private DNS. It had been set to “Automatic” by default. I tried “Off” and “Quad9DNS.” The fourth option is a field to enter a different hostname or DNS provider. Right now, I left it on “off.”

I found an article on the T-Mobile website about resetting network settings, so I thought that might be worth trying, (probably needing to follow the Google set of instructions, which seem to jive with my phone’s UI: Reset wi-Fi, mobile, & Bluetooth) but I’ve not done it yet.

There is a setting under the T-Mobile sim for editing the MMS access point under network settings > SIMs > click the SIM for T-Mobile > scroll down and click Access Point Names.

One of the options there is T-Mobile MMS, TMUS.
Proxy, Port, Username, Password, Server are not set.
MMSC is set to http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc .
MMS proxy and MMS port are not set.
MCC is set to 310. MNC is set to 260. Auth type is not set.
APN type is set to mms, xcap. APN protocol and roaming protocol are set to IPv6. The APN is enabled.
The bearer is not set, the MVNO type is not set, and the MVNO value is grayed out.
This article at Stack Exchange seems to explain some of the settings.

Does any one see any obvious issues? I’m not really savvy at this level of network detail. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jim

Following up, it looks like my problems were self-inflicted. I had been checking out various dialers and text apps looking for some spam protection, and I think that caused the issue, having the other apps installed, even though they were not the active apps for phone and messages. Deleting all the other apps except the Murena /e/os default apps restored MMS functionality.

Posting this in case it helps anyone else who falls into the same rabbit hole.

Regards,
Jim