Proton.me app and google analytics

Hello my world,

I use the proton mail app and I discover that /e/os block a tracker from ch.protonmail.android :face_with_monocle:

So I ask Proton

Can you explain how do you protect my privacy by using google analytics trackers in the proton mail app ?

Here is the reply from support team :

Jul 4, 2022, 17:33 GMT+2

Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

We have consulted with our developers and we want to inform you that we do not use Google Analytics, however, some of your e-mails might be using them. Kindly note that newsletters might use them to track interactions.

Thank you for your understanding.

If you have any additional questions or need assistance from our side, please let us know. We would be happy to help.

Kind regards,

Customer Support
Proton Mail

I think me voila rassuré :sweat_smile:

maybe it is the /e/os fault the #apptracker not working correctly :grin:

Any idea ?

Hello! I also checked the ProtonMail app with App Manager, it also found a tracker and it says “SentryPerformanceProvider”. I’ve also heard that some mails might contain such analytic trackers, just what they answered you. Is your ProtonMail app from the App Lounge? Mine is from there.

1 Like

Hello,
The /e/ AdvancedPrivacy worked perfectly: as the Proton Mail support explained, it has blocked a tracker from your personal content.
Just to be clear : the tracker is not inside the app (as encoded inside), but somewhere in an email.

Please don’t mix 2 things:

• a tracker code embedded into apps (as, for example, AppLounge may report it)
  • a tracker intercepted by AdcancedPrivacy (in network traffic, when using the app)

The cleanest app can’t do nothing with user’s behavior, for example using it to display malicious content!
Unless it contains some code to cleanup this content :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for this explanation :+1:

1 Like

Yes I use the app lounge only
since the V1 I drop all the other stores :star_struck:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.