Purchasing my first /e/OS device: Good time for a used one?

I haven’t had a rooted device yet, apart from my TV receiver, and would like to buy one now. Nothing special - the main thing is: not ugly, an all-rounder and please for 4-5 years.

In view of the apparently halfway fair price, I am thinking about a OnePlus North since it looks quite modular and easy to repair if it’s necessary. However, it currently says ‘Q’ as the /e/-version for the device. Can we still expect updates to current /e/ versions in the future? Are security updates also possible with /e/ when there is no longer an updated operating system, as I am used to from my Windows device? Or would you basically advise me against a device released in 2020?

you cannot have 4-5 years of hardware manufacturer firmware support without buying a new Google Pixel, maybe Sony/Fairphone at best. At some point you’d need to let go of the criteria of “firmware updates” (I speak for the non-operating system pars: modem firmware etc) or keep step with industry.

(I do skip that criteria entirely, but it’s not for everyone)

One of the reasons /e/OS (and LineageOS, on which it is based) exists, is to prolong the useful life of mobile devices beyond the relatively short periods that manufacturers provide software updates. So security fixes, and other changes to the open source parts of Android are made available for a long time after manufacturer support ends.

For example, I own and use Sony Xperia devices dating from 2014 (Z3 and Z3 Compact), 2015 (Z5 Compact) and 2017 (XZ1 Compact). These devices receive regular updates from LineageOS (officially for Z3/Z3C, unofficially for the others), most of which also find their way into /e/OS. Fully functional Android 11 / R LineageOS builds are available for all these devices (and /e/OS builds fro Z3 / Z3C), and Android 12 LineageOS builds are currently being developed and tested. They are all great phones and do everything I want/need from a phone.

If you choose a device officially supported by LineageOS, then you can be pretty certain that updates will be available for a long time. I would recommend either a Sony device, or a Google/ Pixel device. Both companies are supportive of open source and custom ROM developers, whereas companies like Samsung and Xiaomi, seem to make life difficult and discourage custom ROM development.

3 Likes

I think devices that recently got added to the 19.1 roster are good picks, see the latest changelog list. Personally I’m into Motorolas, the unlock on the manufacturer page is easy… why not go for a Moto X4 “payton”? can be had for 40€ already, Moto G5S is also a nice device that can be had cheaply. (Though if you’re a US resident then carrier support for VoLTE also matters and check first).

The advanced search in gsmarena.com and phonesized.com also help me to filter down beside the Lineage and /e/ devices lists.

If you want to be strict on the firmware support (and relock) criteria, Calyx shares the strictness and offers a support table: Calyx Device support. But as @petefoth I’m in the “prolong device lifetime” camp.

4 Likes

I made my first steps in flashing with the BQ Aquaris X - it was quiet simple and I love it. I use some other devices: Xperia Z3 compact (official), S5 mini (unofficial) and A5 2017 (official). I think all of these devices are great and useful as a daily driver (exept the S5 mini). I am convinced that the devices will be supported even longer, because the hardware is quite good, but not high end. At least the sizes (and prices) are perfect, above all the Xperia Z3 compact.

Kind regards

That’s where this thread came from: I found the OnePlus devices very interesting in terms of price-performance ratio, especially used ones. I was all the more surprised that the ‘Nord’ was taken off the list at /e/ and LineageOS within 2 years of release (apparently?). Is there also insufficient support for free software on OnePlus’ part?
And is it actually always inevitable that a device that no longer receives LineageOS updates also falls out of support at /e/?

Pixel devices are too high end/expensive for me, I’ll keep an eye out for Sony devices. Thanks!

Although I am not happy that devices from different manufacturers increasingly all look the same: To be honest, Motorola devices with their backs are the only ones I find… really ugly.

I can remenber that old models were more ergonomic than other vendors. (holds well in the hand)
They also have the reputation to be strong devices.

1 Like

Fine with that, loved my HP Pre3. It’s only about that… shimmery, glossy, whatever, I just don’t like the look of the surface, it’s not the shape. I would rather have plastic and Qi again - but I am probably just as much of a niche consumer as I am with the external storage and battery.

Not always I believe. Even if LineageOS are not making updates, there will still be updates to /e/'s software (the OS and the forked apps). I think that /e/ have said that, for officially supported devices, they will try to rovide pdates for as long as they can. In practice I guess this means "for as long as we can make a build for the device). The reason /e/ stopped support for some devices stuck on nougat (and maybe oreo and pie) is that it is no longer possible - without a lot of extra work - to make the nougat builds.