Q3 - Samsung S9 Plus Update

Hey everyone,

Sorry to post yet another samsung galaxy post.

However, I was wondering when will it be possible to install /e/ on my S9 plus which is running android 10?
On the device roadmap it states support for S9 plus should be coming Q3 2020.

Also, else where on the site Iā€™ve seen responses that by Sept/Oct it should be possible to install /e/ on an Android 10 device.

So would appreciate an update, as I just bought a secondhand S9 plus a couple of days ago with the intentions of installing /e/ on it.

Thanks in advance

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

Hello, welcome in the forum :slight_smile:

maybe this unofficial GSI build will work but each time I talk about a GSI build Iā€™m wrong so wait for a confirmation :yum:

1 Like

The problem on Samsung devices is missing fastboot. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t know a way to flash a GSI. Sorry :frowning:

1 Like

Hey guys, thank you for getting back to me.

I guess Iā€™ll just have to wait for an update from one of the devs/mods as to when /e/ will be updated for my device. If their previous posts still apply Iā€™m hoping it is still scheduled to be released for the end of October at the latest.

I have you seen this. Could be that it will help you [Custom Build] eOS Q for Samsung S9+ star2lte -- new build Sept. 16th

1 Like

Hi Harvey,

Thanks very much for the link. However, after having read through the article and the subsequent guide by kkoo it seems a bit complicated and longwinded. Iā€™d rather just wait to use the /e/ easy installer in all honesty.

Iā€™ve recently started using Linux these last few months on several systems, however Iā€™m not familiar with flashing custom Roms and donā€™t want to brick my phone in the process of tying to get /e/ to work.

Edit: Actually I guess my main worry would be doing all the above, which would take a while and some learning on my part - Only to run into issues with the unofficial GSI build linked by Anonyme, or to have bugs.

TL; DR: Iā€™d rather wait for the official /e/ OS to become compatible with Android One on my S9 plus :slight_smile:

That almost knocks me off my chair! I can hardly believe to read that a customROM builder like you doesnā€™t know how to install a Generic System Image (GSI) without fastboot commands ā€¦

I know two possibilities: With Ondin3 or Heimdall (more complex method) or with TWRP Recovery (simple method).

:arrow_right_hook: Odin v3.14.4
:arrow_right_hook: Install Heimdall or if you prefer you can Build latest Heimdall suite
:arrow_right_hook: TWRP for star2lte

Iā€™m building roms, not flashing them on all available devices. Iā€™m building and flashing how I have learned a long time a go. I the good old fashioned way. There was no Odin, no heimdal only terminal :wink:
Sorry, Iā€™m not the ā€˜I know everything guyā€™

And I only can repeat what I have heard from Samsung users.

We are here on a Android 10 device. Android 10 has a ā€˜superpartitionā€™. And as far as I have heard from other Android 10 users, you canā€™t flash a GSI to a system partition with twrp, because TWRP is only showing you the superpartition not the system partition.
Iā€™m happy to know how I can flash a GSI on my bacon and my Xiaomi devices. And Iā€™m also happy when there is a Samsung Android 10 user who will write a HowTo installing a GSI on a Samsung Android 10 device. Because this question will come more often in future

but moment ā€¦ we are talking about star2lte ?? So @Jem can flash my q-rom and no need for GSI

1 Like

As much as I want to use your custom rom - So I can have /e/ on my phone. My only worry is that itā€™s an unofficial build: :confused:

ā€œThe build is untested. So use on own riskā€

And even though Iā€™m all for experimenting with Linux distros. Iā€™ve never flashed a custom rom onto Andrid before, so Iā€™d rather be safe than sorry and stick with the /e/ official build for my first time flashing an Andoid rom. Especially as it should (hopefully) be ready by end of October

Devices new and existing being upgraded to Pie or Q - once we have the /e/ Q code ready

• Devices will be upgraded starting from Q3 2020 and released in batches

Thatā€™s OK when you will wait for easy installer and official build ā€¦ but in the moment the official build is Nougat or OREO, til eOS-Q official will be a long way :frowning:

But I hope when your first flash with easy installer was working you will enjoy flashing and start with Odin flashing. As far as I know, it will work very well. But first let see the official version with easy installer running :slight_smile:

Yes, I also with a Galaxy S9 ā€˜starlteā€™ on Android 10 - LOS 17.1 and TWRP 3.4.0-0 are installed. LineageOS 17.1 requires a current stock of Android 10 as installation requirement.

So far Iā€™ve not seen a ā€œsuper partitionā€. TWRP 3.4.0-0 shows me following partitions on my S9 ā€˜starlteā€™

For an installation demonstration Iā€™ve your eOS-17.1-20200928-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvS.img and twrp-3.4.0-0-starlte.img on the microSD card. To install your eOS-17.1 I would have to select ā€˜System Imageā€™ in TWRP, right?

Looks good.
yes, and be sure to have formatted data

ā€¦ you have had installed ā€˜normalā€™ LOS17.1 on the device. Could be that it has reformatted the superpartition to ā€˜normalā€™ layout.

Do you know what does mean Ā« super partition Ā» and what differe with a Ā« normal Ā» partition ?

During Fabuary and March, @ Archje has informed us about, an Ā« android version 10 relativ Ā» new Samsung Bootloader Ā« knoxx protected Ā»

Is it the same thing ?
Is the LOS Recovery has neutralize it ?

Android 10 has only this super partition, it includes all other partitions like system/data/vendor/modem and so on. I will have somewhere on my storage a screenshot from a device with this superpartition.
https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/dynamic_partitions/implement
TWRP will only showing it.

I think it will be something different. have a look here https://www.samsungknox.com/de

1 Like

:arrow_right_hook: Implementing Dynamic Partitions

(C) source android com

1 Like

Thanks for the links now we understand better.

Ā« super Ā» is a logical partition witch contains some dynamics partitions ( with variables numbers, names, sizes )

With the dynamics partitions, say goodbye to the Ā« error : out of space Ā» when building a system image with many apps for a rom

It is implemented when a device is solded with android 10,
Not if you upgrade an older device. (but you can manage it)

Yes, itā€™s only on devices which are delivered with Android 10

Long way? I thought it was due to come out Sept/October as Lineage OS have 17.1 compatible with android 10 and /e/ is a fork of lineageā€¦Plus mods/devs e.g. @Anonyme have stated on numerous posts that eOS-Q is due to be released sept/oct.

example eOS-Q - Q3

Thanks very much :blush: I wouldnā€™t mind learning how to flash the official eOS-Q rom without the easy installer to be honest - As long as the OS worked on android 10 devices; it would be worth the learning curve.

the /e/OS v1.0 release was announced to mars 2019 ?
we are actually at the end of September 2020, using /e/OS v0.11ā€¦

Samsung devices are an exception in the supported device list,
you already can use a graphic interface named ODIN on a PC running windows to install TWRP (a custom recovery) on your device, witch is a graphic interface to install alternative android operating systems on your device.

1 Like