Query about installation process

Yes, it’s an option inside TWRP

Optional: microSD card

The data transfer is secure and fast. Save files verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0.zip (patch from here) and VENDOR-27_ARI9.zip (those vendors) on microSD card and install from TWRP via “Install”.

Thank you very much for your replies. I am very grateful.

In the end I was able to flash the rom, now I have to get familiar with it

2 Likes

Fantastic @RamonML, welcome to the /e/ club!

PS: Samsung Galaxy S9 - “starlte” SM-G960F will run even better when the migration to e-9-pie is completed.

When will it be?
Galaxy S9 migration to e-9-pie

Here is a part of answer.

Stuck on this step.

Where do I get the vendors stuff for my S9+ android 9?

First, TeamWin - TWRP twrp-3.3.1-0-starlte must be installed. In TWRP , run “Advanded” and “ADB Sideload” and then install the file on the desktop PC via adb sideload verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0.zip.

I downloaded the VENDOR-27_ARI9/vendor.img image and it failed to load. I assumed;

run “Advanded” and “ADB Sideload”

Is on the device? I cannot see ‘ADB Sideload’?

Thanks
E

Yes! → In TWRP Recovery this command is provided.

The /e/ documentation would be clearer with a few some additional terms (added by me in bold font).

1. Manually reboot into recovery:
  • With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Bixby + Power. When the blue text appears, release the buttons.

On some devices, installation can fail if vendors are not up-to-date. In this case, please:

• Download those vendors
  • Install them
    • On the device, go into TWRP Recovery Advanced > ADB Sideload , then swipe to begin sideload
    • From the computer ADB¹, please run adb sideload <vendors file>

Note: Be sure to reboot into TWRP recovery immediately after having installed the TWRP custom recovery. Otherwise the custom recovery will be overwritten and the device will reboot (appearing as though your custom recovery failed to install) - usually the stockrom Android recovery mode is then displayed again.

¹Android SDK Platform Tools Android Debug Bridge v1.0.41 Version 30.0.0-6374843

Thank you for your quick answer.
unfortunately I can not see:

On my device. How do I install the TWRP custom recovery and boot into it?

1 Like
  • Download a custom recovery

• Power off the device, and boot it into download mode:

• With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Bixby + Power.
  • Now, click the button that the on screen instructions correlate to “Continue”, and insert the USB cable into the device.
  • On your machine, open a Command Prompt or PowerShell (Windows) window, or Terminal (Linux or macOS) window, and type:
heimdall flash --RECOVERY <recovery_filename>.img --no-reboot
  • A blue transfer bar will appear on the device showing the recovery image being flashed.

• Unplug the USB cable from your device.

• Manually reboot into recovery, press the Volume Down + Power buttons for 8~10 seconds until the screen turns black & release the buttons immediately when it does, then boot to recovery:

• With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Bixby + Power. When the blue text appears, release the buttons.

Thank you for your answer. My screen turns red after and doesn’t enters TWRP mode.

I installed an other version of TWRP and it seems to work. the newest is maybe not well checked yet.

Now you can install /e/

Yes, thank you. it was a wrong TWRP-file.

There is no such thing as not existing. But it is strange: on my “hero2lte” the current TWRP version 3.3.1-0 works perfectly from the beginning. /e/ OTA updates are managed correctly with firmware dev (7-nougat). In combination with /e/ OS dev (8-oreo 8.1.0) I don’t see any problems so far.

The instructions do not tell you where TWRP is? I cannot see an app on the phone home screen or in settings, I have not used an android device in over a decade.

I am up the steps where I need to " Installing /e/ from custom recovery"

Cheers

Elliot

Ok I have

1. Wipe data/factory reset
  2. Wipe cache partition

Now this step is not apparent.

1. Sideload the /e/ .zip package:
  • On the device, select “Advanced”, “ADB Sideload”, then swipe to begin sideload.
  • On the host machine, sideload the package using:

UPDATE:

With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Bixby + Power. When the blue text appears, release the buttons.

I tried Apply update from ADB and then adb sideload e-0.9-o-2020043052057-dev-star2lte.zip from my Mac.

Is this the right /e/ package? I am going to try e-0.8-o

And it failed on the package verifying as per this screen shot:

The steps are ambiguous. I know I should be in a twrp mode or app. But how?

Your are on the stock recovery, meaning you didn’t install the TWRP recovery successfully.

1 Like

This my console log. Seems to of installed correctly. But how to I find and start TWRP?

TAB101177:Downloads rocke$ heimdall flash --RECOVERY twrp-3.3.1-0-star2lte.img --no-reboot
Heimdall v1.4.2

Copyright (c) 2010-2017 Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
Claiming interface...
Setting up interface...

Initialising protocol...
Protocol initialisation successful.

Beginning session...

Some devices may take up to 2 minutes to respond.
Please be patient!

Session begun.

Downloading device's PIT file...
PIT file download successful.

Uploading RECOVERY
100%
RECOVERY upload successful

Ending session...
Releasing device interface...

Indeed it seems successful. After that, you have to directly enter in recovery mode, without booting on the system (because it will replace TWRP by the stock recovery).
Once you are on TWRP, that’s ok it won’t be replaced.

1 Like