Query about installation process

I would like to know when I must patch my device, before or after install a custom recovery?

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/starlte/install

Thanks in advance and sorry about my english.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Welcome in the community forum :slight_smile:

It really sounds like you have to install the custom recovery (TWRP) before.
The steps described in “Patch your device” are made for TWRP.

Hello @RamonML, unfortunately, the description is somewhat misleading, because the sequence of the installation steps is different in practice.

First, TeamWin - TWRP twrp-3.3.1-0-starlte must be installed. In TWRP, run “Advanded” and “ADB Sideload” and then install the file on the desktop PC via adb sideload verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0.zip.

The same procedure is followed with the file VENDOR-27_ARI9.zip (those vendors).

Then /e/ for starlte dev (oreo) can be flashed and steps 9. can be executed.

How can enter Advanced > ADB Sideload ,before install TWRP?

Yes, it’s an option inside TWRP

Optional: microSD card

The data transfer is secure and fast. Save files verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0.zip (patch from here) and VENDOR-27_ARI9.zip (those vendors) on microSD card and install from TWRP via “Install”.

Thank you very much for your replies. I am very grateful.

In the end I was able to flash the rom, now I have to get familiar with it

2 Likes

Fantastic @RamonML, welcome to the /e/ club!

PS: Samsung Galaxy S9 - “starlte” SM-G960F will run even better when the migration to e-9-pie is completed.

When will it be?
Galaxy S9 migration to e-9-pie

Here is a part of answer.

Stuck on this step.

Where do I get the vendors stuff for my S9+ android 9?

First, TeamWin - TWRP twrp-3.3.1-0-starlte must be installed. In TWRP , run “Advanded” and “ADB Sideload” and then install the file on the desktop PC via adb sideload verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0.zip.

I downloaded the VENDOR-27_ARI9/vendor.img image and it failed to load. I assumed;

run “Advanded” and “ADB Sideload”

Is on the device? I cannot see ‘ADB Sideload’?

Thanks
E

Yes! → In TWRP Recovery this command is provided.

The /e/ documentation would be clearer with a few some additional terms (added by me in bold font).

1. Manually reboot into recovery:
  • With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Bixby + Power. When the blue text appears, release the buttons.

On some devices, installation can fail if vendors are not up-to-date. In this case, please:

• Download those vendors
  • Install them
    • On the device, go into TWRP Recovery Advanced > ADB Sideload , then swipe to begin sideload
    • From the computer ADBš, please run adb sideload <vendors file>

Note: Be sure to reboot into TWRP recovery immediately after having installed the TWRP custom recovery. Otherwise the custom recovery will be overwritten and the device will reboot (appearing as though your custom recovery failed to install) - usually the stockrom Android recovery mode is then displayed again.

šAndroid SDK Platform Tools Android Debug Bridge v1.0.41 Version 30.0.0-6374843

Thank you for your quick answer.
unfortunately I can not see:

On my device. How do I install the TWRP custom recovery and boot into it?

1 Like
  • Download a custom recovery

• Power off the device, and boot it into download mode:

• With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Bixby + Power.
  • Now, click the button that the on screen instructions correlate to “Continue”, and insert the USB cable into the device.
  • On your machine, open a Command Prompt or PowerShell (Windows) window, or Terminal (Linux or macOS) window, and type:
heimdall flash --RECOVERY <recovery_filename>.img --no-reboot
  • A blue transfer bar will appear on the device showing the recovery image being flashed.

• Unplug the USB cable from your device.

• Manually reboot into recovery, press the Volume Down + Power buttons for 8~10 seconds until the screen turns black & release the buttons immediately when it does, then boot to recovery:

• With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Bixby + Power. When the blue text appears, release the buttons.

Thank you for your answer. My screen turns red after and doesn’t enters TWRP mode.

I installed an other version of TWRP and it seems to work. the newest is maybe not well checked yet.

Now you can install /e/

Yes, thank you. it was a wrong TWRP-file.

There is no such thing as not existing. But it is strange: on my “hero2lte” the current TWRP version 3.3.1-0 works perfectly from the beginning. /e/ OTA updates are managed correctly with firmware dev (7-nougat). In combination with /e/ OS dev (8-oreo 8.1.0) I don’t see any problems so far.

The instructions do not tell you where TWRP is? I cannot see an app on the phone home screen or in settings, I have not used an android device in over a decade.

I am up the steps where I need to " Installing /e/ from custom recovery"

Cheers

Elliot