Question - why not using G@#%& and other tech giants as provider for digital company infrastructure

Community,
i need advice (not diretcly linked to /e/ but to g#€%& and privac issues.

I friend of mine is working for a well-funded and rather large start-up business. I was a bit surprised to hear that they run all their communication and storage of confidential information via G Suite and my impression is they do not have any data privacy awareness.

I’d like to raisevtheir awareneas (as i really like what they do). Therefore, I am looking for articles (in recognised publications) explaining the risk of sharing and storing data with the large tech giants. It would be good if the article addresses a general pubic rather than tech savvys. Ideally in English language.
Any suggestions?

2 Likes

Thanks, that made my day :rofl:

Danke vielmals @Guenter The first one maybe the others are a bit too much focused on specific apps/tasks. A little while ago Amnesty International published a brilliant and comprehensive report on surveillance. I am looking for something like this but more with a focus on entrepreneurs and decision makers in companies (why they really need to put their attention to that subject).

These lines are pretty straight forward:
" All this said, let’s not forget that whatever privacy settings you adjust on your documents, it won’t protect you from the data-hungry eyes of Google itself. By using Google Docs, you’ll be giving Google access to its content of your document, even if you’re not sharing it with anyone. If that happens to be an issue, consider using encrypted alternatives to Google’s services."
https://bdtechtalks.com/2018/04/02/google-docs-sharing-privacy-concerns/

1 Like

I read two really good articles regarding Google’s practices: One was a consumer-goods-search startup, which was sabotaged by Google (they delivered better results but Google wanted people to use their own search for generating profit from it, so they started to show the competitor far behind).
The other story was about Google monitoring business activities and startup developments, so they can identify promising ideas. Either Google buys such a startup at an early stage. Or if they cannot do that, they simply steal the idea. I will post the links if I find them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.