Random crashing on FP3+

Hi, I sent my phone for repair and they replaced the motherboard. Since then it works flawless with stock android but also with /e/. I didn’t have single crash :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It happened again, in the beginning the repaired phone was working smoothly but now it reboots every 10 minutes. I could pin it down to the vodafone sim, independently of the used sim-slot. As soon as I activate mobile data (4G+) it starts to reboot. 3G mobile data seems not to cause this behavior. Btw, there is no strong difference between /e/ and FOS. I would love to see the system logs, for troubleshooting …

I have same issue as @radim91 mentioned, my FP3 started shutting down randomly a month ago (after couple months of using it). It happens especially while using browser and certain websites. Sometimes also it randomly shuts down when I’m trying to use apps from shelter and I’m low on battery (below 15% but way above 1-2%). It doesn’t always reboot after that, I sometimes need to charge it first and than hold the start button for 10-15 seconds so it finally restarts. Random shut downs also happen often when I try to use the phone while charging. It’s really hard to tell why is this happening - couple weeks ago it was happening very often, now not as much, and I use the phone pretty much the same way. If the issue persists I’m thinking about sending this phone back based on guarantee. @Anonyme I would be happy to provide full bug report, I generated it already, let me know how can I send it to You.

I have same issues. I use two sim cards and microSD. It was shutting down very often, and the only way to reboot it was to plug it into the charger. Than after long pressing the start button it was rebooting. Now it happens very sporadically but it still happens. @support any ideas how to solve it?

Pl raise the issue with logs on the gitlab if not already done. That way it can be assigned to the developers to debug and resolve.

1 Like

Just did it, thanks! :slight_smile:

I may have a clue that relates the crashes of my FP3+ (/e/ 0.17) to cellular network : I usually live in a area where the cellular network is very bad : in my house, there are rooms where there is network (although very faint), and other rooms where there is no network at all. And I experiment numerous shutdowns within a single day simply by moving around inside my home. Last weeks, I was in vacation in an area where I had 4G network everywhere and everytime. In 10 days of vacation, I experimented absolutely no crashes… And as soon as I came back home, the crashes started almost immediately. It may be a coincidence, but I’m pretty sure there is a relation with the presence or absence (or transition from no to yes or yes to no) of cellular network, or to the power/battery management, as the phone consumes more power to catch a network. All the more so since it was a two-phase “experiment”, as in the interval, I came back home from the 4G area and get back to 4G two days after, and guess when I had random crashes ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Crashes due to mobile data connections were resolved upgrading the firmware, I experienced them myself. The upcoming 0.18 will do this for you, prior one had to reflash stock to get or extract them.

Thanks tcecyk.
As I’m almost a complete noob, how do I do to reflash the firmware ? Do you have link to a howto, I can’t find the procedure ?
Thanks

full stock images are assembled here, but before writing a guide how to extract partitions, flash individually… instead of flash all and lose userdata - 0.18-q release is arriving this or next week, just disabling the mobile-data connection will avoid crashes until then, save’s you the trouble just waiting for the next release?

Thanks tcecyk.
I’ll try disabling the mobile data and report back.
And eager to test 0.18-q
Thanks again.

Hi. I’m a french user and I had these troubles several months with my FP3.
After several changes in the parameters, it appears that it was related to the 4G connection, even if WiFi was also connected (but 3G worked fine).

Then I decided to change my 4G provider. For 4 weeks now, I’ve had zero crash (instead of several per week, and sometimes several per day) !
For french users, I can give more useful information : the problems occurred with EI Telecom (Auchan Telecom and many other MVNO). Now my provider is SFR and everything works fine.

I hope my experience will help some people.

3 Likes

@heavenfrog good you no longer see crashes, it is/was modem related… did you also update firmware the same time you changed providers and what is your current baseband version? (System → About Phone → Android Version → Baseband-Version … or … adb shell getprop gsm.version.baseband)

What I know: the random reboot / crashes related to 4g connectivity were resolved with a early 2021 firmware update to the stock-rom by Fairphone itself, after acknowledging the problem in late October 2020. If you search for “reboot” in the Update Changelog you’ll see in the A.0077 January 2021 entry:

Fixed an issue that was causing, under certain conditions, a device to reboot while calling or using specific Wi-Fi networks.

This firmware is carried in /e/ since a few weeks too, so updating to a current Q release should solve the behavior for anybody who never updated the stock firmware again after flashing in 2020.

(If the problem occurs again / persists on a updated baseband version, it is another matter)

@Manoj does the /e/ discourse have the Solved plugin? for help threads with a few dozen replies, either a gitlab issue or a topic summary can be stickied that way.

1 Like

It’s the first time I change providers (few weeks ago).
I bought my FP3 in august 2020. I didn’t use the FP OS and installed /e/ OS straight. So I think I never updated the firmware you speak of.
My baseband version is .TA.3.0.c1-00565-8953_GEN_PACK-1 .
I’m about to install the new /e/ update 0.18. But I think I won’t see the difference with my new provider.

I applied the 0.18 update and my base band is now 953_GEN_PACK-1.345890.4.356774.1.

Just reporting back after a dozen days living with 0.18 (I just made the OTA update).
Despite my great expectations, it didn’t solved the random crashes issue. The base band version is now 953_GEN_PACK-1.345890.4.356774.1, but nothing changed in this behaviour.
I switched the mobile data off for a while, but the phone keeps crashing randomly, whatever the OS version (0.17 or 0.18).
From where I stand, the random crash issue is not related to the presence or absence of 4G network, it is merely related to the presence or absence of cellular network, whatever the generation. When moving inside my house, I can clearly see that the network completely vanishes in some locations, and comes back a few meters away.
And this is the only place where my phone crashes repeatedly. In all the other places I use to be (at work, downtown, etc.), the phone keeps working all day long, with 3G, 4G or H+, with wifi or not…
My only hope is now that the cellular antenna they’re building nearby will be on soon… :blush:

Updating firmware to version 0.19 solved random crashing issue for me. @Flat have you tried moving to /e/OS 0.19?

1 Like

I’ve tried 0.19, no improvements.
And moved to 0.20 (OTA) two days ago, not better… :sob:

I’m experiencing the same issue with an FP3+ running /e/ 0.20. I live in a large French city, and this only happens when I leave the city, or when I’m in a house in the countryside where network connectivity is poor. I did a factory reset, which didn’t solve it. I’ve been experiencing this for months - no version of /e/ / Android seems to have been unaffected. FWIW, my carrier is SFR.

I’d be glad to provide logs, but I don’t know how to get a persistent logcat. I have tried using Logcat Reader from F-Droid, but the logs don’t seem to be saved to the internal storage when the phone crashes.

I am living in a 3rd world country with very poor network quality and the same thing happens.