Recommendations & Advice on Compatible Phones

Hi.
I’m considering buying a used phone I can add the /e/OS to. I have owned only 2 mobile phones in the past 15 years, a Samsung Mini, which I liked because it was small and a BQ Aquaris M5.5 (current), which was given to me. I want to upgrade to a phone which I will be able to use for several years.

1. Battery life is very important if I choose a model without the possibility to replace the battery.
  2. I would prefer dual SIM, but it is not a deal breaker.
  3. A smaller size would be preferrable, as I wouldn’t really use the camera or watch videos, so screen size and quality is not so important.
  4. Longevity - able to support the /e/OS for as long as possible.

Separate topic here - I need to be able to run the Firefox, Wise, Openbank (Santander) and preferrably Proton apps. Anyone had experience with these?

Many thanks.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

May have a look at the Asus ZenFone 8. Considering these days models, the phone is relatively small, the main reason I got it for myself. Im happy with the battery life and the performance of the phone. However, you cannot replace the battery.
https://doc.e.foundation/devices/sake

Firefox and Proton apps work as expected.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation, demux. I’ll check out the specs and reviews.

Pixel 4a, it is affordable, small(ish), has stable (depending what you are looking for) and Easy-Installer compatible

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation, mihi.

It looks like we have similar desires for a phone. what did you chose and how did you get on installing /e/?

Small, less flashy phones that will last years. Why so rare?

In the end I bought a new One Plus Nord 3 CE Lite, which is not currently compatible. I wanted a phone that I wouldn’t need to change for a few years, with good battery life, and buying a used device is a risk with regards to the health and longevity of the battery. I don’t use my mobile phone very much, and so need only to charge it every 5 to 7 days.

1 Like

Good question, you may be aware of most of this but as the thread has a good title …

On price decide if want an “/e/OS learner” phone or … more expensive.

When looking for a suitable phone use the Supported devices page and explore the search options (first time preferably on a PC sized screen !).

In the Search area:
Search by vendor, device , OS version, release year in supported devices

be aware of the options to Sort by Release Year and Display size.

See also Search options, where you can highlight characteristics of significance to you.

If you can start to get a number of suitable devices in mind, you can try to Search the forum for those devices (do users seem to find them trouble free ?) and search the markets to see if you can find one.

Feel free to ask about a specific shortlist here.

3 Likes