Redmi Note 8 / Moving from Android Q to Android R

Hello,

I am currently using Android Q , with /e/ OS on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 8.
There is no more update of the system, so I am thinking to upgrade to Android R as it seems having regular update.

But even if I am strictly following the process to install Android R (see https://doc.e.foundation/devices/ginkgo/install ), it results in a device having an infinite boot loop
However installing back Android Q works.

I am wondering if I am not concerned by the warning of the LineageOS page saying we need to install first official Android 11 on the device before moving to Lineage 18.1. I have flashed first the latest android-11 firmware (Ginkgo ) , but it seems not to be enough. When I flash after Android R /e/ OS, I have again a boot loop.
So I am wondering how to move from Android Q/10 to Android R/11 if we are currently on Android 10…

Thanks in advance for your advice :slight_smile:

You are saying that you followed the install page strictly, but to review …

For upgrade from Q to R in addition to the stage of returning to the stock ROM it was always recommended to Format data during the change.

This is done during the “new install” of the R /e/OS ROM.

If you are experiencing difficulties an additional step you might try is to use the phone for 24 hours using the Stock ROM to ensure all works well, perhaps also perform a check for Software update within the Stock ROM, do a Factory reset from the Stock ROM then follow the instructions for a new install, to include Format data (again).

Quoting from install page

On /e/OS Recovery Main Screen:

1. Select Factory reset
  2. Select Format data / Factory reset option
  3. Next screen will display a warning that this action cannot be undone
  4. Select Format data to proceed or Cancel if you want to go back
  5. If you selected Format data …the format process will complete

Thanks your @aibd for your answers :slight_smile:

I have been flashing ROM for more than 10 years and it is the first time I read I need to come back to stock ROM in order to upgrade to upper Android version :thinking:

I though this advice (having a stock Android 11 ROM on the device) on the /e/ install instruction to be only when you do the first ROM flash, but after to be able to flash any ROM for this device from the recovery.

I have indeed done a factory wipe (wipe data, system, cache, dalvik cache), as I always do before flashing a different ROM. I have done it from /e/ recovery, and as installing Android R didn’t work, I have also tried from Lineage recovery and from TWRP recovery, without being able to install the Android R /e/ ROM.

Should I understand I need to flash back the stock ROM in order to succeed. Is there any alternative?

Thanks in advance for your advices!

Correct. If you are to install /e/OS Android 11 (R) to quote the /e/ install page

Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 11 firmware.

Thank you for your feed back.
I am really surprised by the fact I need to go back to stock ROM, but I’ll do it.

If I flash a “flashable” stock ROM as the one I can find at https://www.xda-developers.com/download-miui-12-stable-update-rolling-out-several-xiaomi-redmi-mi-poco-devices/#ginkgo , will this be fine?

And if one day we move to Android 13 or Android 14, I won’t be able to flash a stock Android Rom 13 as it will never exist. How will it be possible then?
I see Android 13 and 14 ROM for Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 (on xda-developers forum) and it seems no need to flash a stock ROM before flashing them.

Once again, thank you for your explanations.

I always found this https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/ the most reliable way to find latest.

Latest is the significant thing; once the vendor stops updating the firmware, there will become a date of “final” vendor firmware update.

Once the phone has this “final” vendor security patch level, as you say, there is no more firmware update to do. All subsequent Custom ROMs will be built on that firmware base.

1 Like