Register now for your first smartphone with /e/!

Very interesting and nice that you got such a robust selection from the start. Would you by any chance consider other brands down the road if this turns out to be popular? I would love a Xiaomi Redmi Note 7, Mi 9 or a Mi MIX 5G with /e/.

Xiaomi has some of the cheapest phones with really nice specs and high build quality. Cleansing the phones og all things Xiaomi and Google would make them very attractive… I would splurge instantly, even though i have an iPhone X and a Mi A2.

Hi @StigtriX if this turns out to be popular we would definitely be adding more devices to the list.

1 Like

I too registered for an S7 Edge- can’t wait to de-google!

Will the phones be the “global” versions, i.e. as in the case of the S7 Edge, the SM-G935F (or SM-G935FD - dual-SIM model)?

References: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S7 and https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-s7/#!/spec

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Manoj, that’s great so see. Thanks for the info. Maybe you could indicate on this webpage from where the phones are likely to be shipped. From within Europe that’s probably less of an issues, but for others there might be a customs issue coming up.

Hi @ralxx for now the focus will be on EU. Our vendor is based out of there. We are looking for vendors in other markets across the world.
In case /e/ users are aware of good smartphone refurbishers in other locations - vendors who can provide a steady stream of quality phones, provide good after sales service then you can pass on the details to us. We have done a fair amount of checking but would welcome all the help we can get. We will help them understanding how to flash /e/ and provide tools to them.

Cool. That’s what I thought. My suggestion was simply to include that information on the website where you invite people to register their interest in a phone:
S.th. like: “In a first step phones will be shipped out of Europe, but residents from regions are still welcome to express their interest as negotiations with refurbishers from other regions are on their way.”
Have a nice weekend.

Maybe these guys in Antwerp, Belgium?

https://www.microforce.be/refurbished/samsung/

They are very friendly and helpful the times I’ve been in the store.

I like this idea. It is something I would potentially be interested in, if/when my current phone dies, so thought I’d add my 2 cents. I’d be more likely to use this service if there were more phones on offer. None of the available handsets appeal to me, especially as someone who prefers a smaller phone.

Does anyone know if samsung s7 eill have fm radio with /e/? Apparently, the ones with android have the radio chip deactivated…

Hello,
The page to register suggests "Feel free to add comments or suggestions during the “check out” in the field “additional information”. I didn’t see any such “additional information” field. Note that I was not logged-in in the sales site (I’m logged-in on the community site).

My suggestions are as follows:

• Interest for S9+ only if LOS gets to V16 and the camera works great
  • As you are switching from “flash your mobile” for “nerds” to “buy your mobile” for everyone, I think you should put a lot of emphasis on the complete value proposition/promise. When grandma buys the mobile, she may expect it to replace “Google”, including a calendar, contacts, email. Same as Google: apparently with no extra money, no time limit and big storage. Will /e/ phone buyers get a one year subscription to the backend? What storage etc, what costs after that year, what promises for the backend in terms of availability etc ? BTW: You probably need a status page for the backend, like https://www.fastmailstatus.com/ and so many others. (NB: I’m used to pay for hosting (I’m a customer of Fastmail for years.), I think most are not fully aware of the cost.)

Hi @Manoj,

So, as of today-ish, it’s no longer early June. I saw the latest newsletter, a couple of days ago, was re-estimating deliveries to start in a few weeks.

I absolutely understand that software projects – esp large, distributed, tightly-funded, FOSS projects – are hard to predict timelines accurately. Any chance we can get better guidance than “a few more weeks”? I’d love to get one of these brand spankin’ refurbished Galaxy /e/Phones, but I’m currently limping along here with my current phone that only 25% works, which I absolutely need to replace about a month and a half ago. Should I stop holding my breath and just (sigh) buy a regular phone?

thanx

2 Likes

Hi @rainbird we would be taking up the orders already in the queue from this week and the delivery will start by end of this month. Sorry for the slight delay.

Woo-hoo! Thanks for the update. I will continue to hold my breath …

One step closer to shipping /e/ smartphones: packaging and in-box materials are ready!

We’re currently fine tuning our back office as we speak to be able to launch order ASAP. Stay tuned!

4 Likes

That looks great. Presumably it will all need to be redesigned though when /e/ has a formal version 1.0 name? I worry that might be costly.

Hi,

Does this mean that the smartphones you are about to ship will contain the official version 1.0 of /e/ under Android Oréo, and that it can be expected to be also distributed through an OTA update to other users (even those that are still under the old nougat version) ? That would be great. :star_struck:

The phones will have the latest version of the /e/ OS for that particular device. v1 when it comes will be available OTA for these devices.

1 Like

I have been registered for nearly two months now, I still haven’t seen any add to make a firm order. What’s going on ?

1 Like