S9+ Totally Bricked

Hello

I am not 100% certain if it is an E OS issue but my S9+ will no longer indicate charge or turn on. Had a replacement charging port put in and although it would charge it would not turn on still.

Have had an issue a couple of times where charging would not work at all and a restart of the phone made it work which indicates maybe some kind of software related issue. Anyone aware of anything or any potential solution and if it is related to E OS? Recharging from completely flat always a slightly spotty affair as well. Donā€™t know if anyone has had similar experience

Worst thing is no back up for photos on there so if anyone has a solution for that Iā€™d appreciate it.

Could just be the phone has given out but if anyone has any ideas let me know!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

To kinda rule out the OS, can you get it into download mode, or into recovery?

1 Like

I suggest (while checking @make-nzā€™s useful suggestion) you take the phone out of any case and inspect the hardware buttons. They must look exactly true, free of any build up of contamination and work faultlessly.

(Any sticking button can have quite unpredictable results.) I once used a microscopic amount of silicone grease to clean buttons and apertures.

1 Like

No it wonā€™t do anything - does that rule out the OS? One thought I had was that if the OS is preventing charge in any way (donā€™t know if this is possible) it would lead to hard brick eventually

Well Download mode is independent of OS.

Have you seen any display on the screen since the problem started ? Is the behaviour anything like a simple ā€œno displayā€ ?

No ODIN/DOWNLOAD mode, too me, have always been hardware issues and in your case there was work on the hardware. I wrote something related here:

Samsung S7 stuck in boot after changing screen - #68 by make-nz

Maybe the work needs revisitingā€¦ DIY, or repair shop, BTW?

1 Like

it was a repair shop. they wanted Ā£60 if they had managed to fix it but I find the same phone again for Ā£100 so i save the time and just reinstall E OS on another phone. Annoying but it is what it is. I think could well be hardware. I just wondered if the charging function is separate from the OS?

No - nothing at all. The charging light doesnā€™t come on either. I donā€™t know what runs the charging function - is that the OS or independent? The only thing Iā€™m trying to write off is that it wasnā€™t a problem with charging that led to the phone being ā€˜brickedā€™ (unable to receive charge). The new charging port gave charge but there was no light or indication from the screen that it was charging.

A revisit is well worth it, they are also required to check their work.
Did they recommend replacing the battery?

And yes, charging is independent of the OS, as it needs power to boot.
But the charging is also controlled by a battery chip, so it does not get over charged ā€“ which also works when the OS is not running.