SafetyNet on /e/OS Community "dev" devices - let it in or not?

Currently stable releases are not totally exclusive to devices bought from the e foundation anymore. There are several devices for which stable builds are offered for download and installing.

3 Likes

That’s right.

In my case, however, I wouldn’t want to buy a new smart phone. Call me old fashioned :wink:, but my FairPhone2 still works well enough, and I’d like to avoid creating electronic waste unnecessarily.

If /e/ decided to “go for root” and thus abandon the usage of safety net apps on “dev” releases (a decision I’d consider totally legitimate albeit unfortunate for many users), I’d have to either say good bye to an otherwise working phone or look for a different OS.

safetynet pass and root debugging don’t seem to be mutually exclusive in Q and R!

Some observations I made on my a3xelte running eOS-Q V1.8.1 without (and also with) ih8sn:
With user-debugging switched on, the success of an adb root seems to be controlled solely by sysprop service.adb.root: Though allow root-debugging is switched off, an adb shell setprop service.adb.root 1 followed by an adb root spits out an ADB Root access is disabled by system setting message but nevertheless restarts adbd on the phone as root!
Performing an adb unroot resets service.adb.root to 0, and subsequent adb root s will be unsuccesfull as long as you don’t perform another adb shell setprop service.adb.root 1.
And best, all that also holds with ih8sn installed with an ih8sn.conf containing DEBUGGABLE=0 forcing the value of sysprop ro.debuggable to 0 and hence wiping allow root-debugging completely from the developer-settings.

I think, it’s reasonable to assume that not only my a3xelte but moreover each and every eOS Q and R installation behaves this way.

If so, you shouldn’t hesitate to merge ih8sn to the dev build process while giving an appropriate hint in the release info … (or pick up my proposal from above and release the whole thing as an optional AddOn)

1 Like

I don’t have any problem with the apps you list : all work correctly with good GPS location always.
It’s only for 2 apps AFAIK that there’s a pb : Naturalist and Trackbook.

I did not find the communication on your final decision on this (maybe I missed it?)
We’d like to be able to tell potential users of a R dev ROM if they would have the same banking apps compatibility as stable ROMs, or not

1 Like

We have a plan to add the safetynet and Rootbeer status for each device we support. This information would show up on the supported devices list.

6 Likes