Samsung - Galaxy S5 LTE International - klte - Documentation Suggestions

Please add your suggestions to improve the documentation for the Samsung - Galaxy S5 LTE International - klte here …

In “Preparing for installation”, step 1, I couldn’t find the option to unlock OEM. I even try to change the date (to actual date - 7 or actual date + 7) as I found in other forums. Bus as I could enter in Download Mode, and heimdall print-pit worked fine, I move on with the installation.

I was a little worried to turn off the device after the recovery flashing, since the warning in the screen to “don’t turn of the device” didn’t go away even some time after the blue progress bar was complete full and the message in my terminal showed “Ending session… Releasing device interface…”. I waited one or two minutes and turn it off anyway, and enter, just after that, in the recovery, as well pointed in manual.

I have a problem with ‘adb sideload e.img’. In my linux, I got the message that “adb: sideload connection failed: insufficient permissions for device”. So `adb kill-server’ and ‘sudo adb start-server’ resolved the problem: the next 'adb sideload e.img worked fine and I am now trying this nice sweet Pie.

Don’t know if is worth change anything related with this, in the well done manual, but I think I should reply this post just in case someone get the same worries.

Thanks for supporting S5!

Hi @aleam thanks for writing this in. The whole purpose of the Documentation Suggestions sections was to get device specific instructions from users as and when required. The base of the documentation was made out from templates where for a specific device similar steps are implemented. This practice may not work exactly in all cases which is where we seek user suggestions on better and working alternatives.
I will add the steps / workarounds you suggested to the documentation

I’m not sure it is the right place, feel free to move / copy / paste somewhere else, sharing my trouble/workaround to install on S5 LTE :

The heimdall print-pit failed either with the version served by /e/, 1.4.2 or the one from Debian (1.4.1), with the following error:

ERROR: Failed to receive handshake response. Result: -7
ERROR: Protocol initialisation failed!

After investigating, I found this bug fix https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/Heimdall/pull/225/commits/6b826dc1707840240438646b62011edb8fb87a53 . I applied it on current master of https://gitlab.com/BenjaminDobell/Heimdall/-/tree/master/ , compiled, and it worked (some warning at the end, but not critical).

Then after transfering the .img with adb, as i wanted to reboot, i got a warning that no OS was present/detected. I rebootet anyways and everything worked actually fine :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback @manuk7 will check and add the same to the documentation.

Hi,
i found two problems so far:

1. like aleam I could not find the “unlock OEM” option for developers. The internet told me, that most (older) Samsung devices have this option unlocked by default. Mentioning this possibility would help.
  2. Odin could not flash the recovery, new versions got stuck in “file analysis”. Using older Odin versions (suggestion from internet) failed with a different error. However changing: the tar command from “tar -cvzf %USERPROFILE%\Downloads\recovery.tar %USERPROFILE%\Downloads\recovery.img” to “tar -cvf …” (without the -z!) like in the lineage documentation fixed the error.
    Changing this would help as it took me some time…

Thanks for all the work you are putting in! Cant wait to test /e/ on my old S5!

Hello,

I went through all the process in order to install eOS on my Samsung GM-900T, everything went (almost) well. No problem with the steps but the phone I got was running Android 5.0 and I got several problem when I installed eOS (SIM card not detected, system booting several times before starting…).

I tried to install Lineage as well to see if I had the same problems and I did. But I found on their documentation that I had to upgrade to Android 6.0.1 before installing the custom ROM.

After doing this, I installed back eOS and I have no more problem :smiley: It could be great to add this part on your documentation also in case some other persons do the same as me.

Anyway, I’m happy that eOS is now working on my phone !!!
Thanks for your work