Samsung Galaxy Tab2 espressowifi (two models 7 & 10)

Alrighty it worked, thank you all for helping and thanks Andi for building it!
It feels really snappy :smiley: will try with some apps installed
Camera is broken and keyboard appears when i remove app from recents :?
Nevertheless I hope someone continues this (or maybe Oreo Go considering normal Oreo will be too heavy for 1 gig RAM)

Edit - Cant install app from Apps nor can download apksā€¦

Have you allowed installations from unknown sources search Ā« unknown sources Ā» in >settings ?

Yes, ofc!
When I try to install from ā€œAppsā€ it crashes adn downloading apk just fails

Yes of course you have checked the sum of the Android-Andiā€™s build zip ?

Downloaded from here

a downloaded file could have micro-failure or corruption
i have read some users have re-downloaded the .zip file and fixed their problem

I cannot download the files like when i click download on the Apps it crashes and in browser it says network failure (I am connected to wifi and all websites open normally)

But i will try redownloading and flashing again :smiley:

While Iā€™m still going on in using /e/ on my old tablet and being pretty happy with it, today I discovered the GPS isnā€™t working, at least with the following app: Here WeGo.
Is there any alternative way to check if this is App related?
Thanks!

Well it is pretty good, but I would like to try oreo and for that i will try to build oreo myself, is there a place i can ask if i get stuck?

Hello ! First of all, a huge THANK YOU for bringing /e/ to these old devices ! :smiley:

However, I notice the same massive slugginesh/reactivity issues (to the point of unusableness) as @Cys (Samsung Galaxy Tab2 espressowifi (two models 7 & 10)) once this devices (P3110) is rooted, be it with either Magisk or https://mirrorbits.lineageos.org/su/addonsu-14.1-arm-signed.zip ?

Iā€™m getting loads of ā€œChoreographer: Skipped XXX frames! The application may be doing too much work on its main thread.ā€ (with XXX regularly ranging in the 300-range) in logcat.

After further testing and (clean) reflashing the ROM, I came to the conclusion that rooting status has nothing to do : sluggishness is random. Sometimes the tablet is fine (rarely), sometimes itā€™s slow (often), sometimes is sluggish as hell (often)ā€¦ but rooting makes it much worse and frequent.

Also, only the UI seems unresponsive : for instance, network operations seem to behave at normal, if modest, speed.

I confirm getting the same issue with a very slow device, nearly unresponsive. And what I donā€™t understand is that the Tab2 which was fluent became very slow just after a few days without installaing any additionnal application. And even a complete reflash did not solve the issue this time.
@breversa : this has effectively nothing to do with root access.

1 Like

Could you please help us @itsclarence ? @petefoth ?

1 Like

Sorry - itā€™s out of my league Iā€™m afraid. The latest official LineageOS build I can find is Android 6 ā€˜marshmallowā€™, so there would - I guess - have to be some work getting it to build for android 7 / Nougat.

I have no idea how to go about doing that, and I donā€™t really have the time (or the motivation to be honest) to find out what would be involved. And Iā€™m quite busy at the moment with devices which may or may not get official builds sometime soon (soon-ish, maybe :wink: )

It would be a great project for someone who owns one of these devices and wants to find a[out abut building ROMs :wink:

Sorry!

EDIT: OK, Iā€™ve found the lineage repo which is CM-14 which I think is nougat. There also appear to be a Muppets repo with the proprietary blobs in.

So all a potential builder would need to do is cobble together a manifest - @Android-Andi might be able to help with that - persuade it to build, and then debug it when it doesnā€™t work :slight_smile:

Like I said, an interesting project for someone, but not for me. If anyone does pick it up, Iā€™m happy to help test anything that gets built. I own a 7" version, though I havenā€™t touched it since I installed @Android-Andiā€™s last build.

2 Likes

Sorry folksā€¦its out of my league also.
Iā€™ve tried it, but making this nougat rom requires a very different build environment than Iā€™m used to now.

@petefoth @itsclarence Thank you guys for taking the time to respond. I hope that one day, someone will be able to resume your work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

I have the same performance issue here. Just flashed recovery version ā€œespresso-common_TWRP_3.3.0-2ā€ recommended below and the ā€œe-0.9-n-20200618-1754-UNOFFICIAL-espressowifiā€, but the performance is very very slow and sometimes frozen as well.

Before that I was using Lineage OS Android 4.4 and the performance was normal.

I wonder what could it be that causes this performance penalty on /e/ OS e-0.9-n-20200618. Could it be the NAND storage with lots of dead cells? Could it be a rogue background process hitting the storage/CPU?

This severe slowness remembers me when on a PC Windows is indexing/hitting the HD hard on the background and everything else slows to a crawlā€¦

Is there any ā€œshow resource utilizationā€ option on the Developer Options screen or something like that?

I am really intrigued that some people experience a snappy performance on the same hardware with the same ROMā€¦

I used to use https://f-droid.org/packages/com.eolwral.osmonitor/ but itā€™s no longer maintained, and I havenā€™t tried to use it for that device yet.

So we want to build /e/ again? There are proper nougat sources and a 3.4 kernel on github.com/Unlegacy-Android/ well are there some porting docs?

1 Like