Secure email usage

What type of services should be avoided if any using ‘Secure’ email services like Protonmail, Tutanota etc. Like is it worth while using it for streaming services like Netflix or shopping services like Ebay or Amazon or would that essentially be defeating the purpose of a secure email and best using a Gmail or Hotmail address for them.

Sorry if it’s in the wrong area, feel free to move if to the correct place.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

If your concern is not sharing your mail to private companies you should definitely not use your personal one.
They could link your usage on their platforms to your e-mail.
But I don’t think you put your e-mail service in risk or whatsoever.

You could just create another mail (in a good mail provider for privacy). It’s not because you use bad services for privacy that you have to use bad mail providers for those services.

I personally have (for personal purposes) one email address for services that know my true identity and another email address for services that don’t need my identity (or if it can be faked).

1 Like

You can use email alias service from SimpleLogin https://simplelogin.io/

They are FOSS. They have app in f-droid.

permanent or temp/dispoable alias. send and reply from alias.

2 Likes

Also, some providers (mailbox.org, for example) provide free disposable aliases for this exactly purpose. Or you can use self-distructing mailboxes by temp-mail.org if you don’t care about password restoration and not going to receive emails after registration.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.