Setting up hotspot

hi all,
has anyone tried setting up a hotspot with /e/ ? My phone is failing to do so (Moto e) and it was definitely working before i installed /e/ (although i did also have a different mobile provider then, so that may be it).
Rik

Hi @Rik I occasionally have used the hotspot feature and it works ok for me on my Xiaomi tissot. May be a device issue. Have you checked with other devices running /e/?

I also confirmed that setting up a hotspot works at least on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5

ok, iā€™ve contacted my new mobile provider to see if the problem lies there. itā€™s not device, i used this device before with hotspot!

Hotspot works on GT-I9300.

Hotspot does not work on my Essential PH-1 mata (says Error when trying to toggle it on). Works on the Axon 7 though.
Iā€™ll have to check if the line for the mata is allowed to use hotspot data first before I say itā€™s the phone or ROM.

2 Likes

#HowTo: Fix WlanHotspot Essential Phone 1

1. Install EeloOs like in the install documentation from the e-team on the site
  2. Install Magisk-v19.3.zip like the OS: adb sideload magisk.zip after the Rom in TWRP!
  3. After this enable USB-Debugging in Developer-Options (Tap 7 times on Build-Number in Options)
  4. Transfer This File to Downloads on your smartphone with usb:
    hostapd_default.conf
    and change the name to: hostapd.config
  5. Connect Smartphone to Pc and type: ā€œadb shellā€ than ā€œsuā€ after this
    write: ā€œmv /storage/emulated/0/Download/hostapd.conf /data/misc/wifi/ā€
  6. You can use Amaze Root Explorer to Check for the Files ( /data/misc/wifi/) and the path form f-droid store. Create in this folder 2 empty files: hostapd.accept and hostapd.deny. Now there should be 3 new files: hostapd.conf, hostapd.accept and hostapd.deny
    -> Now the Hotspot works! OK

Here is the solution:
https://community.e.foundation/t/error-when-creating-portable-wifi-hotspot/1813/7?u=eelo4life

Seems like I canā€™t use my e phone to create a hotspot (wifi or USB).

It seems that itā€™s been a problem for a while. Too bad you didnā€™t tell me this before I spent ā‚¬300 on an e phone.

When are you planning to fix this problem? (Can it be fixed?)

Hello @psycho_pat_barry,

thank you for your purchase and sorry for the issue you are facing.

Could you please provide more information ?

1. Which device have you purchased with /e/ pre-installed ?
  2. Can you describe what is working and what isnā€™t ? At which step the failure occurs ?

Regards,
Anonyme.

Hello,

Thank you for responding so fast.

I bought a Galaxy S7.

When I enable the Mobile Hotspot and Tethering feature on my /e/ phone, my laptop can connect to the phone, but the Internet is not available. Iā€™ve tried both the WiFi and USB methods of tethering but neither works.

I have tried tethering this phone with 2 different SIM cards, from 2 different providers, but the problem persists.

I have another S7 and tethering works normally with either SIM card.

I need tethering to work before I can abandon (or wipe) my ā€˜regularā€™ S7.

Thank you for your attention.

Regards,

Paddy

Hello,

1. I guess cellular data is activated ? I ask because if it was disabled, it would act exactly as you described. Are you able to browse the web on your /e/ S7 while the hotspot is activated ?

2. Also, are APN settings the same for both phones ? Maybe the issue is due to a wrong APN setting. I think it is in Settings > More > Cellular networks > 3dots > APN but it might be slightly different.

I will ask if there is a known issue about this to know if itā€™s more likely a software or hardware issue.

Yes, my mobile data is connected and working.

I read somewhere in your forums that the /e/ OS has a problem with tethering. Thereā€™s a bug report on your Github repo. Sorry, I canā€™t check now for the links but youā€™ll find them if you search the forums.

I wanted to check myself what was the current behavior with the S7 but I realized a nano SIM was needed and I donā€™t have oneā€¦

Could some people with a S7 tell us more about this please ? Do you have a data connection with your wifi hotspot ?

I also have an S7. My laptop connects to my phone but says ā€˜no internetā€™ on the laptop when my phoneā€™s VPN is on. When I disconnect that, the laptop connects to the internet.
However, it is very unreliable and will only stay connected for a few minutes. Has anyone else had a similar problem? It makes it almost unusable.