Several issues after installing /e/ to Fairphone 3

Hello,
my daily phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus (SM-G901F), LineageOS for microG 16 (Android 9), my spare phone a Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300), /e/OS 0.7 (Android 7.1.2). Because the S5 display is having more and more problems I bought a used Fairphone 3 and installed /e/. It is still the plain installation, nothing added, only the bootloader is not locked yet to be able to make partition backups with TWRP.

By now there are a few issues I don’t know how to solve.

1. The signal strength of the Wifi connection is lower than on both old phones. Is this an issue of Fairphone 3 or of /e/?

2. I am using a touch pen for years now. The touch sensitivity when using my fingers is very good, using the touch pen is impossible, the display hardly reacts. With both old Samsung phones it works good. With the standard Android system on the FP3 it was a little bit better, now with /e/ it is impossible to use. The Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus (SM-G901F), LineageOS for microG 16 (Android 9) had an option to increase touch sensitivity in the display options (which I didn’t need to activate), the FP3 with /e/10 does not have that option.
    Same question: Is this an issue of Fairphone 3 or of /e/? Can it be fixed?

3. The Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus (SM-G901F), LineageOS for microG 16 (Android 9) has an entry in the display settings (inactivity display) with an option to turn on the display if one waves one’s hand over the proximity sensor. If I search for the inactivity display with the German locale the search shows it, but it is not there, search with English locale doesn’t know it.
    Is this option somewhere in the settings or is it missing? If missing, is there another way to accomplish this feature?

4. At the moment I don’t have a SIM card inserted yet. So I set date and time manually. Each time I reboot the phone the date and time is back to the state it was before. The phone does not keep the manually set date and time. This is not the case with my two old Samsung phones.
    Again: Is this an issue of Fairphone 3 or of /e/?

5. When in this case the date is in the past the Wifi connection does not show “connected” but “limited connection”. What does that mean? Several web sites (e.g. this one) cannot be accessed then.

The ones I can answer:

3: Fairphone 3 does not have this on the official stock ROM either
4: That sounds really weird, like a bad battery or so? My device doesn’t have that at all
5: Well, Android does a connection check. If it fails, it’ll warn you about a limited connection. If your date is too far off you will get SSL certificate issues so an incorrect date is definitely a logical explanation for network issues

2 Likes
  1. Could be related to this:
    https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/2190
2 Likes
  1. I have not used a touch pen with any displays, but I can tell you that I have not noticed any difference with touch sensitivity, and I have used A LOT of android phones. It could just be the pen you are using. Perhaps try a different one and see if you have the same issues.
  2. On /e/ pie this option is under the ambient screen setting under display. In /e/ q I was not able to find anything related to ambient sensor. There is an app on f-droid called wave up that can do this for you.
1 Like

That is exactly this bug. It is marked as fixed already, so I hope the next update will fix it. Thank you for the link.

The strange thing is that I don’t notice a worse sensitivity with my fingers but with the touch pen which works perfect on the Samsung devices. I will buy another touch pen and try.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.