Recently we had a user on the forum ask us if we provided support to flash smartphones in his area.
He mentioned he was not comfortable following the instructions on the wiki or posts in the forum.
Unfortunately w/e/ do not have such Flashing stations or support centers for /e/ at present in any part of the world.
Our Smartphone by post service is still to be setup…you send in your smartphone and we flash /e/ on it. Even when it is established there would be some geographical limitations to such a service.
This brings us to a subject we feel we would eventually have to take up.
Should we set up /e/ flashing centers in different locations?
Lineage has been in existence for over a decade and has millions of users across countries. They seem to be doing just fine without any service…at least none that I am aware of.
Having said that does that mean we should also not have Flashing stations across locations?
We would like to check if users would like to volunteer to set up such services in their area or get some feedback on this.
Off course there would be some ground rules for such /e/ Flashing Support Volunteers:
- they will have to publicly share details of the location where the service will be offered
…cannot have anonymous support those who already are running smartphone repair / setup shops are more than welcome
- the volunteers can charge a nominal fee for the service offered…this is entire between the volunteer and the user . /e/ will not be looking for commissions here
…expect the charges should be reasonable
- Volunteers are not bound to only flash /e/ in that they can flash other custom ROM’s as well if the user so requests.
…that again is between the user and the volunteers
- Volunteers will be taking the risk of flashing the device in case of hardware issues post the flash
…. this would be a tough point . Ideally devices flashed with official builds do not brick but then there is always the exception to the rule.
- We are developing some flashing tools which we will be happy to share with such volunteers.
It would be good to get some feedback suggestions on this from YOU our user.