Signal won't scan qr-code for adding desktop device

Two days ago I installed /e/ os using the APK and the most recent version for my device Samsung Galaxy SIII (GT i9300) and I also installed Signal from the most recent download on the Signal web page.

I all seems to work as intended. But I want to also connect my Debian desktop as an additional device. Unfortunately, the Signal app doesn’t scan the qr-code. I can scan it with a dedicated qr-code reader but that doesn’t help me since there doesn’t seem to be a way to share the scanned data with Signal.

I have written to the Signal support two days ago already but didn’t hear back and I fear the Signal team isn’t interested in trouble shooting someone using /e/.

Does anyone here have a suggestion how to overcome this problem?

Hello,

Sorry, no tip that could help you. All I can say is that I use Signal on my desktop and I have no problem to scan the QR code…
Hope you will find out!

I had issues with signal under /e/ a while ago and they came back to me no matter my OS …took some days though…
Of course waiting for support-feedback is never nice … I assume them being busy and/or understaffed… I would give signal support some time.

1 Like

Thank you for your replies, VincentS and obacht. I will try to be patient.

Just to know what I should expect, VincentS: Does Signal offer you a button for scanning the code or does it just do it as soon as it has a proper code in the cameras focus?

From what I recall verifying the desktop-app/the device: signal scans/ recognises the qr as soon as its “scanner-area” covers the code - no extra button to be clicked.

1 Like

Yes, that’s it. No button, just a window that detects the QR code as soon as you point it.

1 Like

I installed signal on my Ubuntu 22.04 today.

Are you using an x64 version of Debian? Also did you back out of a signal conversation (root of signal so to speak) then press:
Setting
then:
Linked Devices,
then scan QR?

Thank you for taking the time to consider my question, Jets.

Are you using an x64 version of Debian?

Yes, I do. And Yes, I am trying to do this from the page “Linked Devices” in Signal on /e/ OS. Other wise Signal probably wouldn’t show me an image of the code at all.

The Signal team responded in the mean time. But so far we didn’t get anywhere yet. I just answered more questions.

Do you have a QR code reader on the phone, will it scan any QR code? Not a camera issue of some sort?

Well I didn’t try other codes, but the dedicated QR code reader app I am using had no problems to scan the code from the Desktop signal app:

I can scan it with a dedicated qr-code reader but that doesn’t help me since there doesn’t seem to be a way to share the scanned data with Signal.

1 Like