Silence for SMS default app

Dear All,
What about to use Silence for SMS default app?
Pro and contras? User experiences, etc…
Thanks for your feedback.
BR

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

Pro:
Encryption Possible
Easy to Use

Con:
Key exchange message might be unsafe?

I use it as my default SMS/MMS app on both /e/ and my past Android phones. No issues at all, but I’ve never tried the encryption.

The app hasn’t been updated in a couple of years. Maybe it’s perfect already? :wink:

What’s the Problem with QKSMS+?

1 Like

Hello.

For me, Silence allows to backup the messages, e’s fork doesn’t. First with unofficial builds, now with GSI, I have to do a clean install for updating…

Use QKSMS from F-Droid (the app the /e/ has forked for its own Message app). Message backup works fine. Also, think about uninstalling the /e/ version (search the forum for “uninstall system apps”) - it really doesn’t add very much, and it lags behind the upstream in terms of features and bug fixes

1 Like

How do you initiate a group message in Silence?

Choose “New Group” from the menu. Then add members one at a time.

1 Like

Tap at the three points at the right corner > new group > add members
Group messages are are send as mms, I think.

1 Like

Hello.

Silence is now 3 years old, QKSMS (e’s base) is 1 year old.

Seem’s Simple SMS is the last and lonely updated (FOSS) SMS client.

Well, I’m looking for a KISS one, allowing backup. Not an I.M. ‘hardly featured’…

Any suggestion ? Thanks.

I use upstream QKSMS. I know it hasn’t been updated for a while, but as far as I can see it doesn’t need updating. It works, it supports bsckup and restore. What more do you need?

Thanks.

Will try QKSMS… with a backup from Silence.

Édith : a way to import .xml backup ?

As long as apps rely on Android Messaging database, you can use a third-party tool like https://www.synctech.com.au/sms-backup-restore/, instead of app’s embedded backup.
Not sure about Silence, but it worth a try :wink: