Slow charging FP4 on Win 10

Hi,

since I have this new Asus z790 Mainboard with USB 3.1 (1. and 2. gen) I was wondering if there should be a way to charge my FP4 at least with “normal charging”.

Every time I connect the phone to the PC it says “slow charging”.

With my old system I at least had “normal charging” - but I guess there should be a way to “speed charge” it too?

Does anyone know something about this?

Thanks in advance,

Wolfgang

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Your FP4 has a USB-C 3.0 socket, your PC has USB 3.1, which is downwards compatible. However, USB 3.0 and 3.1 only work with USB cables which, in addition to the previous data line pair (D+/D-), require a separately shielded pair of wires (shielded differential pair, SDP) for both transfer directions and a common shielding of the entire cable in order to comply with EMC limits.

USB-A 3.0 plugs can be recognised by the blue inner part. The cable and plug are often, but not necessarily, blue in colour. The USB 3.0 connectors have five additional contacts, whereby the type A plug is compatible with the old USB sockets. In the type A plug, the new contacts are located in the area where there is only plastic in the old plug.

USB-A 3.0 blue

Also note the following:

Default PC-USB-A 2.0 Power = 5V | 500mA (= 2,5 W)
Default PC-USB-A 3.0/3.1 Power = 5V | 900mA (= 4,5 Watt max. power output)

Fairphone 4 Dual Charger:
QC 3.0 USB-A 18 W max power output.
QC 3.0 USB-C 30 W max. power output.

The USB-C cable for the FP4 must also be able to supply 2.6 amps or 4 amps max. of current.

Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 3.0 Specifications
Maximum Input Voltage: 3,6V to 20V (200mV increments) QC Mode
Maximum Current: 2.600 mA or 4.600 mA QC Mode
Power output max.: 36 Watt

Therefore, try a (premium) USB-A 3.x to USB-C 3.1 cable. This will not only give you significantly faster data transfer but also faster charging.

Note:
There are also USB cables that are only suitable for charging, but not for charging + data transfer.

2 Likes

Man! Three words:

Wow… Thank you :smiley:

Ok I have finished now my testing and reading and I solved the mystery:

Old Asus Maximus VII gene (with ASMedia 3.0 USB Ports):

1100 mA charging no matter which cable I use.
(Works only on the ASMedia port, because the board has Intel USB 3.0 ports, too but there I charged with 400 mA)

New Asus Prime Z790 M plus:

• 400 mA charging with old cable
  • 800 mA charging with new premium cable

So I am gonna ask the Asus support If there is something else I can do to increase the charging capability.