Smartwatch recommendation?

My Samsung Watch 3 (Tizen based) is getting old in terms of battery time etc… Unfortunately the newer Samsung Watches with Wear OS seems not to work anymore with custom ROMS without a lot of efforts to get in running somehow.
Does someone has a recommendation for a good smartwatch. I’m ok with mediocre privacy with this watch. It should however look like a classic watch and not like a running/fitness gadget…

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

All my Garmins, 6X Solar, Instinct, Instinct 2X Solar work just fine with e/OS.

If you went with a Garmin, I would hold for a bit. The existing units are being placed on sale, so I think they are getting close to dropping a new line. It’s hard to beat a Gamrin, their health metrix, battery, etc IMO.

Not sure about COROS. They seem to be geared for runners mainly. I had one a few years back, but it just wasn’t a good fit, and was just tuned to runners. I even had a long email thread with their CEO about it. It had great battery, but Gamrin is light years ahead with all the other stuff, especially for all the other stuff that is NOT running.

Suuntu I have thought about here and there. They have a dedicated fan base, but the reviews are all like all over the board. So while I would like to try one, I’m not sure I would be any happier than now with Garmin. I use my Instinct 2X near 100%. Its black and white, but last FOREVER, and collects all my data spot on. I have many sensors that connect via ANT+ and BT. It all just works.

Hope that helps a little… oh, the only watch I have never owned is a Wear OS type. lol

I think Garmin is the best…

… you could buy an Apple. haha!

1 Like

+1 for Garmin devices, specifically the Fenix series. I have 6S Solar. the ‘S’ designation means it’s a bit smaller than the standard Fenix 6. Both look pretty much like a normal watch

And Garmin Connect app works fine on LineageOS for microG and custom ROMs based on that (like IodéOS and /e/OS). It’s a while since I used /e/OS, but Garmin Connect worked fine when I did

2 Likes

I’m still using an Amazfit GTR2 with Gadgetbridge and I couldn’t be any happier. Although I do a lot of sports and go to the gym on a regular basis I’m not much into fitness data from my watch. I’m happy with seeing the time and receiving messages.
One of the best things about this watch is the humongous battery life, I can go 3 weeks on a single charge.