[SOLVED] Clear all Apps Function in /e/OS

Its a minor nag but it happens daily.
I dont know if it just on my phone but when i look at the running Apps “Clear All” does not show till i close each running app, then only pops up as an option when there is only one final app left to close!
Also before the recent wave of updates i could hold the back button and kill the app, but now when i hold the back button it says app has been killed, it does clear what you were doing i.e the webpage u were looking at but it is still listed under running apps so have to close it manually anyways.

Hello.

Perhaps have a look at the little padlock (top-right) on each app’s window. Sometimes I enable lockedmode unintentionally, then “clear all” doesn’t work…

Ah, Ive figured out the first part about clearing all apps in one go.
When the apps are bunched together there is no "clear all " option, but if you swipe down the apps list to expand a little and then the option for clear all is available, ha i never noticed this. I would retitle this post to solved but the second part is still mystery, about the holding the back button kills the app but not really as it still listed as running.

I assume the reason is that the app is automatically restarted or that it’s shown in the “recent apps” list - but this is just a list of recently used apps and not of all running apps. And btw.: I think it doesn’t give any sense to “clear all” apps (or trying to stop all apps). Reasons you can find in the internet. One discussion regarding this “feature” (and why it doesn’t give sense to use “clear all”) can be found e.g. here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/android-6-0-marshmallow/617243-how-close-all-open-apps-once.html

1 Like

Ah ok handy to know, this is my 1st android phone and went straight to /e/OS without experiencing the standard Goolag OS.Before this i had a windows phone + i`m so used to windows 7. I just presumed it best to exit the apllication after use, but seems it doesnt really matter. I had thought closing unused app would free up some memory or prolong battery life maybe. thanks for the info.

2 Likes

Hi all, in regards to clearing all apps.
How do I clear activities upon powering down, on the latest version 10.

On Powering down. I would like to:

1. clear the search history ( not the browser search , but the Settings search)
  2. close ( clear all) apps that are up.

When I type ‘clear’ in the settings search I only get the info on clearing credentials Storage and Erase All Data
and when I type ‘close’ in the settings search I get no results.

Just a side note:
I feel a big issue with user not knowing how a phone works is the lack of help on the device, I am referring to any of the marketed devices out there, iPhone/Android. The poor user who is not technical really, as I have found knows very little about the device…

I have discovered many do not even know what aeroplane mode is or that it can be used with wifi or bluetooth on, but that’s another thread :slight_smile:

Some a good questions, i`d also like to know how to clear previous searches from “search settings” i typed a random word in search setting (in this case; “topaz”) and now it comes up all the time as a suggestion!!

As for powering down, you would think that all apps would end, but you are right when u next power on the device the opened apps from before are still running!!! surely it would make more sense for /e/OS to automatically close all apps on shutdown>>??

Good questions…anyone able to solve?

1 Like

Agreed I created a new topic this really needs addressing in HowTos’. To be clear we are talking about, as freedapeoples underscores, the clearing of all apps upon Power Down, so when we Power Up the session is clean.