[SOLVED] Google App crashes/minimizes when clicking search box (WebView Fix)

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share a workaround for a bug I encountered while using the official Google App / search widget on /e/OS.

Problem: Whenever I tapped into the Google App search box to type something, the app would immediately minimize itself (or crash? I don’t know).

Cause I found online:The Google App strictly requires a compatible version of the Google-backed web engine (Android System WebView) running in the background. Since /e/OS uses a different built-in WebView by default, it leads to a compatibility crash.

Solution:

1- Open the App Lounge.

2- Search for WebView and install it. I installed Android System WebView Canary 154.0.8024.0

Then the Google app automatically uses this new WebView and works stably.

I checked Settings → System → Developer options → WebView implementation and noticed that the newly installed WebViw was selected.

Hope this helps.

JF

I wonder if it creates a back door leak or still get blocked?

1 Like