[SOLVED] No QR Scanner available

Hallo.
warning: I am total beginner. I have got /e/ on an S7 that is my first smart phone ever.

I can’t scan QR-codes. This is quite a pain.

I installed syncthing. When it came to add another device to sync with, I had to type the lengthy syncthing-device-id into my S7 by hand. There was an icon for transmitting the device id by QR-code. When I click it a dialog opened asking whether I want to install “Barcode Scanner”. I said yes but then came an error like “App not found”.

So I tried to install “Barcode Scanner” via “Apps”. It covers QR codes as well and I could install it. But it wouldn’t start, instead it said that there are missing components and that it need to be reinstalled via google playstore.

What did I do wrong?

Another question in that context: does syncthing want a specific QR-scan-app or could it be any any app and apps have some sort of attributes telling us what they can do (such as “scan QR-codes”) so that other app can depend on such a function rather than on a specific app?

I have installed Barcode Scanner from ZXing Team and it runs just fine (I’m using this App for years now).
I don’t have Syncthing, but the scanner e.g. responds to the browser address bar QR code icon (Browser is Fennec F-Droid) just fine, so I guess other Apps should be able to use it, too.

There is a nice qr scanner in f-droid ‘binary eye’ but if an app has to start a qr reader you can.get trouble, because a lot apps will need original goolag services for that.

I goid workaround is scanning the qr outsite the app and copy to string and than pasted in the requested app.

1 Like

Thank you people. “Barcode Scanner” from “ZXing Team” does the job. My bad, I saw it in “Apps” but was not confident enough to try it as the icon shows classic bar code only. Anyway, it works with syncthing and browser and I will try wifi-psk tomorow.

Any idea why the in-syncthing installation did not work?

1 Like

Perfect, so I will put your Post to SOLVED, OK. If not, pls let me know.

Yes of course. Thanks. I thought about about doing it myself. But I am not sure how to do this. Just edit the Titel?

yes, that’s the way :slight_smile:

The future version of Firefox named Firefox Preview has a built-in QR code reader. You can activate it when you are typing in the URL bar. As it is the only way I use QR codes I don’t need any other app

Binary Eye si perfect thank you !!! (and this app is now available in the default /e/ Apps Store)