[Solved] Problem upgrade Fairphone 2 from Q dev tot R stable

At the moment my Fairphone 2 is on e-1.8.1-q-20230206257879-dev-FP2.zip.
What is the advised approach to change the phone to IMG-e-1.12.3-r-20230614299637-stable-FP2.zip
If I try to sideload this R zip in TWRP I get invalid zip file format.
I checked the md5sum and it give the correct value.
Can somebody tell me what I should do?

1 Like

Ok, thereā€™s stable for FP2 now, interesting.

The ā€œIMGā€¦ā€ file you try to use is not for use with ADB Sideload, it is for installing with fastboot. If you extract the file, you will get partition images and a flash script to flash them with the phone in fastboot mode.
(Before we complain about the documentation ā€¦ the documentation only links to the dev builds and is correct for installing them, they are in the OTA format for ADB Sideload, also note the missing ā€œIMGā€ in their filename.)

If you want to use ADB Sideload nonetheless, you would need the corresponding install file in OTA format, the link to it is available in https://ota.ecloud.global/api/v1/FP2/stable (see the ā€œurl:ā€ lines).

4 Likes

I have no idea how to install with fastboot.
Do you know where I can find information for installing on Linux?

You donā€™t need to.

ā€œlink to itā€ is a link to it :wink: .

2 Likes

Sorry for the mistake.
Many thanks for your help.
My Fairphone 2 is now running on R 1.12.3-r-20230614299637-stable-FP2.
I so glad to be able to still use my Fairphone 2 in a save way.

2 Likes

Glad it worked out.
How did you know stable exists for FP2? (The install guide doesnā€™t mention it and FP2 is not supported by the Easy Installer.)

1 Like

I saw the link https://images.ecloud.global/dev/FP2/ and I thought what happens if I change the word ā€˜devā€™ in the link in ā€˜stableā€™.
And then I found the stable R version for the FP2.

4 Likes

@Manoj: Since the FP2 install guide doesnā€™t mention stable builds and they are in a different format not matching the install guide, is stable now being built consistently for the FP2, so any future FP2 R versions will be built in stable, too, or is this some kind of fluke and we should better not rely on it?

2 Likes

Good find :+1: .
I just noticed the stable builds of 1.11-r and 1.12.3-r came a few days before the corresponding dev builds (did occasionally happen on other devices, too), so perhaps donā€™t expect much enhanced stability from stable in such cases :wink: .

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.