Sony Xperia XA2 Pioneer group SMS fails

Hi all,
Having inherited a Sony Xperia XA2 Pioneer recently I immediately installed eOS on it which went well.
I have been using it for about a month now and was delighted to see an OTA upgrade for it today to Version 15 which I have applied successfully.
Great news this has fixed the long standing dialler issue so that’s great.
I wonder though if anyone else can confirm that this update appears to have broken sending SMS messages to multiple recipients using the built in ‘Message’ app?
I can send and receive from and to single recipients but I have some regular group texts that I like to send and these fail. I am only sending to small family groups, maximum five people by the way, not mass messaging.
I have loaded simple SMS and, as with the dialler problem, this is a work around as the multi recipient (group) SMS works in that app.
So, in summary, the upgrade to the Development version of Sony Xperia XA2 Pioneer release 15 has broken the built in messenger app which now refuses to send group SMS.
Any further infor required just ask :slight_smile:

James

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Just tried this on my XA2 and I can send a single SMS to multiple recipients where the message goes to the recipients individually. I toggle-off the option to ‘Send as group message Recipients and replies will be visible to everyone’

If I send as a group message, the message fails to send. I believe group messages are sent as MMS and historically I have never had much success with MMS on this device although I remember getting one to send under 0.14-q. Fortunately I don’t require these services to work anyway!

1 Like

Hi Chris,
This may well be the issue :slight_smile: I had assumed that I could set up a group SMS but I guess there are reasons why everyone moved to whatsapp!
I was trying this because I have dumped whatsapp for now and am using signal. SMS is for contacts not on signal or telegram.
Single sms messages it is .
Thanks for taking the time to get back to me, most appreciated as always.

1 Like

Posted an issue today on e’s Gitlab Backlog