Sony XZ2 Compact dual sim (8324)

Would be great to get un-googeld on my XZ2 Compact !

2 Likes

Yes I join this device request as well!

There is an official Lineage OS 17.1 build for this phone, so I should be able to make an unofficial \e\ build. It’ll probably take a couple of days :slight_smile:

If you can’t wait, try the LineageOS for microG build

3 Likes

Building is straightforward - the installation is a bit tricky: Successful installation of /e/ Android Q on Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact (xz2c)

@Markus @petefoth
Good to see people motivated to build an /e/Os ROM for Xz2c ! However, would you collaborate together or one of you to become a Maintainer for this device?

That would be awesome xz2c users could use /e/ infrastructure to get your contribution and new updates

What do you think?

1 Like

One requirement for device maintainers is “If any device specific issues come up during the testing the device maintainer is expected to resolve those issues before sharing the final working build with the users”. I am unable to fulfill this requirement, so I can not become a maintainer.

However have a look at this: According to [Device Roadmap] Android 9 (Pie) & 10 (Q) : The plan
the team intends to add xz2c to their list of supported devices (no time estimates given).

2 Likes

I would, but I am not able to fulfill this requirement either, because I don’t own this device.

I do own - and regularly build for - Z3 Compact z3c (which is in the plan to become an offiicially supported device), Z5 Compact suzuran and XZ1 Compact lilac, (neither of which are in the plan). Will look into what it takes to become a maintainer for one or all of those devices.

Can you give any idea of how much commitment this would involve? I assume that a maintainer would only build official ROMs when a new release is made (i.e. When there is a new tag in https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/releases/-/releases). Is that correct?

1 Like

@manoj @rhunault maybe can answer to these questions

The point we were trying to convey is that the official /e/ ROM maintainer needs to be able to fix any issue that comes up in the OS while building or testing. This is separate from the bugs in the software.
Issues for example like specific hardware not working on the build …sensors or the camera for e.g.
LOS ROM Maintainers do a basic level of development and testing of the builds before releasing it to all. Similarly any user who does it for /e/ should also be able to do that much. That is what will be different from a normal user making unofficial builds and a ROM maintainer.

Thanks @Manoj I understand that. My main query was about how often an Official build would be produced. Is it usually only when the dev team make a new release, with a higher version number? (As happened 1 month ago for the v0.13-q tag.)

That is correct - official builds go out to all devices at the same time. This happens after the successful end of a sprint testing. First the dev builds and then in a week the stable for the couple of devices we sell.
The builds are usually released once every month and in some cases twice.

1 Like

The new unofficial build is done:

3 Likes

Hello xz2c enthusiasts.

I was able to build (with Docker) and flash /e/ (with link from @Markus). After the update to 0.16-q everything works as expected. As I understand I have to share the build in the forum which I soon will. Lets see how it goes

3 Likes

Thank you for your effort.

Actually, the best would be you to become a Maintainer for this specific device :slightly_smiling_face:

https://doc.e.foundation/rom-maintainer

What do you think?

Well, I own the device so I can tick that off from the requirments list :smiley:.

If everything else adds up, sure. To be maintainer of, it is the goal. The don’t make such compact devices anymore, which is very sad. We were able to work one handed…

Maybe if SafetyNet (according to Roadmap) works again in the (near) future it will become my daily driver again.

1 Like

Unofficial build with 0.16-q, spread the word :wink: :

https://community.e.foundation/t/unofficial-build-sony-xperiaxz2-compact/26430/2?u=mihi

I am very happy to see, that official support for the XZ2C is scheduled for Christmas.

2 Likes

Did anyone Install S on a xz2c?

1 Like

Yes, on single sim H8314. Just for trying things out.
Currently running 1.5.1-s-20221104231515-dev-xz2c with 1.6 sitting in the updater.
Mainly I was interested to see if vowifi would work. It worked for one call (or so it said) then not after that.
Superficially all looks good.

1 Like

Yes, dual SIM. It works good for now except a few bugs. I have to report them on gitlab.