State of Community Docker: Working?

Anyone here running the Community Docker on a regular basis?
I had two workstations setup in Aug/Sep 2023 and was able to build several versions of R, but in Nov 23 both stopped working.
I spent ~80 hrs downloading +400GB trying to get it to work, over and over.

I’m not asking for help, fixing it, just if people are currently using it successfully.

Cheers

May you could post your output from

$ docker  image ls                                                                            

Hi,

I’m using it once a month or so, and it’s working fine.
Don’t forget to always issue a pull command before running the image, Murena team may have added some enhancements or bug fixes.

root@build:~# docker image ls -a
REPOSITORY                                              TAG         IMAGE ID       CREATED        SIZE
registry.gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/docker-lineage-cicd   community   70db1a246c88   3 months ago   1.92GB

(I always update/upgrade the Ubuntu Server OS before launching a build).

I used to, but not recently, not since July.

What errors are you getting?

There was a commit on 2nd November designed to use python3 instead of python2.

When the lineageos4microg/docker-lineage-cicd docker image was changed to use python3, they added the package python-is-python3 s well as python. That package isn’t present in the /e/ Dockerfile. But there is a statement in /e/'s Dockerfile and Dockerfile.community
RUN ln -fs /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/python
which should accomplish the same thing

I also updated the OS, every time and pulled the latest /e docker.
And as I tried building for T too and had ran out of storage, I thought something got messed up, tryed deleting repo… but ended up wiping the whole system and started fresh.

On the other Workstation I only pulled the latest /e docker and it wouldn’t build any of the previous versions/devices it did build before (spare WS, a bit slower and was turned off since the last time I built on it)

Here are some of my problems – and yes I think it could be the python switch

Would this throw an error, on screen or the log?

Used it yesterday to build with no problems

Although Docker images are not that big, you may want to cleanup from time to time with:
docker system prune -a

Also, never had to take care of Python here.
The ln command is to be run at Docker image build time (by Murena), not from your host OS.

Thanks. Would you share your docker run… command? If for some device on R I would like to run it on my system for comparison.

Did that too, long before wiping. I have about 460GB available on my ssd and I’m only trying R builds.

Don’t know for sure how much space is needed for R builds nowadays (it may also depend on your device) :confused:
What I know is that 512GB is enough for T builds.

With R repo downloaded and first run of 1.16 jactivelte it maxed out at about 66% disk space used. Cache set at 50GB, disk space stays around 62% for most of the buid time.