Status bar issue

That issue is marked as an improvement
It says

What is the improved behavior?
Do not display notification icons in the top screen bar

How is not showing notifications in the status bar an improvement? I use that functionality several times each day. Removing it makes the device significantly worse, not better.

I will have a comment to the issue asking for it to be reopened or reverted.

I have also raised a new issue #1875 to revert it. If you agree that it should be reverted, and that notifications should continue to be displayed in the status bar, please add a comment to this new issue

You could also add a comment to this epic where the change has been discussed these last 6 months. Sadly, I didn’t see any discussion of it in these forums or I would have commented earlier.

7 Likes

Another effect:
This sector in the opened statusbar looks very unaesthetic.

The height alignment between the Date and status icons seems to be shifted or in different sizes.

1 Like

Same opinion here, I don’t like these “improvements”. I can’t disable the carrier name, I can’t put the monitor trafic in center as before. Everything seems very heavy and annoying. Many options available for the status bar disappeared.
Hope it will be reverted or put as new options!

2 Likes

It was a bad idea to change the layout.
Pls remember to good old IT phrase:
Never change a running system!

3 Likes

I think the new status bar looks preety good, but the only thing i hate are the missing notification icons, they should at least add a symbol to know when there are notifications.

If /e/ is made into a UI playground, and without proper testing it seems … the often cited Moms and Dads will be very pleased. Not.
Advantage LineageOS.

4 Likes

okay, this is really ridiculuous.

i don’t mind having more options, but my phone has now ceased being a phone and has suddenly become a useless device that only tells me whether or not i am connected to wifi or not.

every app let’s you deactivate notifications individually. the OP’s reason for filing the “bug 1080” were “too many notifications”. how was this ever, ever, EVER implemented, and as a mandatory update?

if i had the choice to install a different OS right now and leave /e/, i would, but i am stuck with my fairphone that i paid the /e/ foundation to have /e/ installed.

that this is some kind of a design choice is simple gaslighting.

3 Likes

This change is being discussed in this epic in gitlab .

@GaelDuval has responded with his comments

5- notification icons in top bar: we will keep them not visible. We can think about adding a radio button in settings to have them appear.

I have responded, asking him if he will a: share the reasoning and research behind this decision and b: change his decision, and continue to show notification icons in the status bar.

If you have any opinions on this issue, it might be worth sharing them there also, so that the developers can get a better feeling of what their users want.

5 Likes

And never have gotten an answer, right? ?

Right. Never for about one hour (currently) since he asked. Inconceivable :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

Please please revert this change or make it optional asap. I don’t understand how one can assume that this is what most users want. Maybe it would be a better way to announce such fundamental changes in user experience and let the users decide? Again, I beg you to change that immediately or introduce an option for switching on and off notifications. BTW aren’t they grouped if too much occur?

2 Likes

I love to use “extended desktop” option. Makes the apps use all the screen and keep me focus. But I like to keep the home screen (bliss) normal, so I can see the clock, and what is turned on without the “swipe down” to get the status bar visible again.

So I understand the changes, if it was a minimalist approach kind of thing (and in this case, the visibility of operators name makes no sense). But I think that, with the options that we already had to silent specific notifications, or hide specific icons in status bar, we could get something like this last update, without the last update.
So, If the default status bar now is mainly minimalistc, I think it could be a good idea to implement the options to give the user the ways to make the status bar cluttered again, if he desire.

Personally not a big fan of this icon-shift to the left.
My suggestions would be to give the user the option to decide where they want to place the icons - right, left, center or remove it all together.
The feedback given here has been communicated to the team.
Will update if there are any further developments on this.
This issue is being tracked here on gitlab

4 Likes

Wow.

I have read all the posts that I could find about this recent removal of notifications from the top bar.

Something I think the developers should keep in mind: When making MAJOR changes to appearance like this, keep in mind the moms and dads - I wasted a couple hours trying to figure out how I screwed up the latest /e/ update. Of course, I didn’t, but I had no idea such a change was being made.

I aint no tech expert, so if it is a fantastic idea to remove notifications from the top, fine, I guess I can live with that, but… Then I think it is also the responsibility of those making this change to provide some alternatives. As it is right now, I don’t know how I can at a glance verify that, for example, a VPN app is still in fact running. Or that I have some unread text messages.

1 Like

@GaelDuval replied at around 07:15 UK time / 08:15 French time, which is pretty remarkable in my opinion. Online platforms and forums are not places where I would expect immediate responses from anyone, particularly when my post was well outside normal working hours.

From his reply, it is clear that he has what he considers to be good reasons for this change. I happen to disagree with him, but that is normal :slight_smile: I am very pleased he has said that

for the Android users who really prefer to stick with the traditional top bar there will be an option have it back in settings.

My personal opinion is that it would have been better to implement this option at the same time as making the change to hide the icons, so users don’t have to spend time without them, and I am slightly concerned that the work to make the change optional will not be high priority . However, I’m not using /e/ at the moment because a: there is no up-to-date working build for my device and b: even if there were, it would not support (without some creative work to update MicroG Services core) the UK NHS Covid App.

I will return to /e/ as my daily driver when those two issues are resolved and the option to ‘unhide’ notifications has been implemented. Let’s hope that all happens quite soon :slight_smile:

[Edit:] @GaelDuval has recently replied: the change will be temporarily reverted early next week, because the feature is not ready. I hope that being ‘ready’ means that the option in Settings to show the icons is also implemented :slight_smile:

5 Likes

See also /e/OS and the (not)Android user interface, it touches on this too

My suggestions would be to give the user the option to decide where they want to place the icons - right, left, center or remove it all together.

YES! Let us customize it. Resurrection remix has such settings for year, I did not miss it because the 0.11 layout is fine, but 0.12 one is a disaster.

Btw, users could choose whether they want to see battery icon, percentage, both or even hide it; time at the left, right…
Please have a look on how it’s implemented in resurrection remix, it’s really fine. I filed https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/1884

2 Likes

Unfortunately I did not read that post before updating. Does someone know how to switch back to 0.11 (FP3 dev channel)? 0.12 is not usable efficiently this way.

Errors can occur. /e/ public is the development version, not stable.

But I think the question why v 0.12 is still online as last update is important.

1 Like

it’s nit a bug, it’s a feature :wink: