Status bar issue

Right. Never for about one hour (currently) since he asked. Inconceivable :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

Please please revert this change or make it optional asap. I don’t understand how one can assume that this is what most users want. Maybe it would be a better way to announce such fundamental changes in user experience and let the users decide? Again, I beg you to change that immediately or introduce an option for switching on and off notifications. BTW aren’t they grouped if too much occur?

2 Likes

I love to use “extended desktop” option. Makes the apps use all the screen and keep me focus. But I like to keep the home screen (bliss) normal, so I can see the clock, and what is turned on without the “swipe down” to get the status bar visible again.

So I understand the changes, if it was a minimalist approach kind of thing (and in this case, the visibility of operators name makes no sense). But I think that, with the options that we already had to silent specific notifications, or hide specific icons in status bar, we could get something like this last update, without the last update.
So, If the default status bar now is mainly minimalistc, I think it could be a good idea to implement the options to give the user the ways to make the status bar cluttered again, if he desire.

Personally not a big fan of this icon-shift to the left.
My suggestions would be to give the user the option to decide where they want to place the icons - right, left, center or remove it all together.
The feedback given here has been communicated to the team.
Will update if there are any further developments on this.
This issue is being tracked here on gitlab

4 Likes

Wow.

I have read all the posts that I could find about this recent removal of notifications from the top bar.

Something I think the developers should keep in mind: When making MAJOR changes to appearance like this, keep in mind the moms and dads - I wasted a couple hours trying to figure out how I screwed up the latest /e/ update. Of course, I didn’t, but I had no idea such a change was being made.

I aint no tech expert, so if it is a fantastic idea to remove notifications from the top, fine, I guess I can live with that, but… Then I think it is also the responsibility of those making this change to provide some alternatives. As it is right now, I don’t know how I can at a glance verify that, for example, a VPN app is still in fact running. Or that I have some unread text messages.

1 Like

@GaelDuval replied at around 07:15 UK time / 08:15 French time, which is pretty remarkable in my opinion. Online platforms and forums are not places where I would expect immediate responses from anyone, particularly when my post was well outside normal working hours.

From his reply, it is clear that he has what he considers to be good reasons for this change. I happen to disagree with him, but that is normal :slight_smile: I am very pleased he has said that

for the Android users who really prefer to stick with the traditional top bar there will be an option have it back in settings.

My personal opinion is that it would have been better to implement this option at the same time as making the change to hide the icons, so users don’t have to spend time without them, and I am slightly concerned that the work to make the change optional will not be high priority . However, I’m not using /e/ at the moment because a: there is no up-to-date working build for my device and b: even if there were, it would not support (without some creative work to update MicroG Services core) the UK NHS Covid App.

I will return to /e/ as my daily driver when those two issues are resolved and the option to ‘unhide’ notifications has been implemented. Let’s hope that all happens quite soon :slight_smile:

[Edit:] @GaelDuval has recently replied: the change will be temporarily reverted early next week, because the feature is not ready. I hope that being ‘ready’ means that the option in Settings to show the icons is also implemented :slight_smile:

5 Likes

See also /e/OS and the (not)Android user interface, it touches on this too

My suggestions would be to give the user the option to decide where they want to place the icons - right, left, center or remove it all together.

YES! Let us customize it. Resurrection remix has such settings for year, I did not miss it because the 0.11 layout is fine, but 0.12 one is a disaster.

Btw, users could choose whether they want to see battery icon, percentage, both or even hide it; time at the left, right…
Please have a look on how it’s implemented in resurrection remix, it’s really fine. I filed https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/1884

2 Likes

Unfortunately I did not read that post before updating. Does someone know how to switch back to 0.11 (FP3 dev channel)? 0.12 is not usable efficiently this way.

Errors can occur. /e/ public is the development version, not stable.

But I think the question why v 0.12 is still online as last update is important.

1 Like

it’s nit a bug, it’s a feature :wink:

I do not care so much about the status bar and the consistency of colours in the apps.
Being myself not a developer I do not know if these changes are minor or major in terms of labour.

I would prefer improvements in the app functionality - tasks is still unable to sync with DAV or nextcloud in my S8, for example - rather than in these aestethic aspects.

3 Likes

@nottolino Maybe you already tried this but:
For the Tasks app you need to add the Nextcloud as Webdav Account in the Settings, that worked for me.

Already done. It’s not working on S8, but working on a tablet S2. The /e/ nextcloud answers that I have to check user and pwd. I’m TOTALLY sure of both.
I already reported both on gitlab and the forum. I have to find some time to investigate further.

Edit. In the meanwhile I had the opportunity to use another nextcloud. The issue in on Accounts, not in Tasks

1 Like

I’m fine with moving connectivity icons to the left. On the other side I miss the notification icons in the status bar.

I would be absolutely fine with a “meta notification” icon that appears in the status bar if one or more notifications arrive. That would

1. inform users if there are unread notifications
  2. still keep the status bar clean
1 Like

if you want that people will swap the OS or that moms and dads are feeling good with new OS, it has to look as here ‘old’ OS.

For longer time I have teached our company employees using MS Windoofs and MS office. When MS has swapped the UI to the 'modern look or in Win8 to the pattern I have had support / helpdesk queries as hell

2 Likes

There really is a problem with the traffic monitor. In order to use it, you have to put the clock on the side (because the traffic monitor goes in the middle). But when you put the clock on one side (e.g. left) and enable the traffic monitor, it is displayed on the opposite side (right), but superimposed on the icons there, or without space to them.

1 Like

In a comment on gitlab @rhunault said

Romain Hunault @rhunault ¡ 17 minutes ago

We published an update that temporary revert the top bar modification. We will publish an improved version later.

So we can look forward to notification icons returning to our status bars as new builds become available.

As I understand it, the improved version will make the display or not of application icons configurable by an option in settings. So all is (or will very shortly be) good :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a bootloop after flashing, solved by flashing the previous update again. (dumpling)

Ota Updates are in folder lineageos_updates at root level.

I will try again

Same here (Xiaomi chiron, Pie).