Status of Photos sync and the general mess of Photos on murenacloud?

What is the current state of sync for Photos? It has been generally unpredictable for me over the last year - currently it has not been syncing for over a week (again). I don’t expect instantaneous sync, but waiting days, sometimes weeks, is a little infuriating.

Plus, the current state of Photos on murenacloud is a mess -

• The sorting feature does not sort things properly…almost every time I load the Photos tab on a PC there will be older photos mixed up with newer ones no matter what sorting method is chosen.

• Sometimes photos not taken during a certain month appear in the current month.

• Several times I have noticed photos previously deleted from both phone and murenacloud that mysteriously return. Is this counting against my alotted cloud storage? Because that is also infuriating, as I try to keep reasonably below my data cap.

Organizationally it just needs more work, and better/more sorting options added. Is this a priority for the team? Because it seems like a big feature, and one of the few ones that really could use some attention.

(I use a Moto One 5G Ace that works great, except for Photo sync)

Nobody??? This is sad.

1 Like

I suspect there is nor response because there is nothing to report. Photo sync does still seem to be not as good as it should be.

Advice in other threads and in Telegram is to

• disable file and photo sync in your /e/ Account settings,
  • install the NextCloud desktop sync app (here in F-Droid - should also be available in App Lounge)
  • configure NextCloud to aync your photos
1 Like

August 2023 and it’s still the same. Some photo’s/videos upload, and some don’t. There’s nothing to indicate what the sync status is.

FairPhone3 running lastest /e/ OS.

1 Like

Same problem encountered here on two FP4 phones (different accounts).

1 Like

I’ve disabled my photo sync altogether. Why should I have to employ a separate Nextcloud server/sync? That’s an extra hassle and would cost more money & time.

I already pay /e/-murena good money every month for this feature (among others), so what is the roadblock to having it work right? Does everyone like paying for faulty service?

I guess I could harass @Manoj or repost this issue repeatedly until it is answered or until photo sync is fixed, but I have a life !

I created a foto album with pictures in it on murena.io…they got synced within < 30 min to the phone DCIM folder. Other drawers like 100ANDRO or Camera where not synced back so in conclusion I would suspect it depends… ;- )
e-1.13-r

So still not solved. I understand it can get stuck etc but would it be possible to provide some detail on why this is happening and what to do about it apart from things like remove and add account? There is no log or any information as to why it is not syncing so I am blindly trying things and hope.

e-OS-1.21, edrive 1.4.3 and nextcloud is 26

1 Like

So almost 18 months later, and still no general improvement at all? It feels like being sold a false bill of goods. A feature/service that doesn’t work reliably shouldn’t be featured or available at all unless it works 100℅. Why doesn’t /e/ at least lower their rates or give us a freakin’ explanation?

Who wants to buy/drive a car w/ 3 wheels.

Since the thread was started there probably were different sync bugs, so old bugs got squashed, new ones appeared.

Your message in the thread start in '22 is twofold - web interface UI needs, the other reliable file sync. As @petefoth suggested, using nextcloud-client for the filesync should take away the latter frustration.

For Photo sorting in nextcloud-photos was once based on file creation time if I remember correctly (the time you started the thread), meanwhile (~mid 2023?) murena-io moved to Memories as gallery app and I that one does exif-based sorting. Did this solve the sorting issues you had?

If you change to nextcloud client sync, what’s left as source of your current frustration?

1 Like

I use enough band-aids right now with /e/ to get it to do what I want, and I am ok with little imperfections here & there. Setting up a separate nextcloud sync, while easily done, feels like the last straw (IMHO). Photo sync is a cornerstone for me, and fixing yet another thing is tiresome.

I use Dropbox for my large data needs anyway, so why even bother is how I feel about it.

Consolidate your cloud-needs with Murena, and help support the cause. This would replace your dropbox app with the nextcloud app, and you’re all set in one solution.

I already support ‘the cause’ every month for a paltry ~20GB. Why can’t it just work? Why is it in an unreliable state at all? I feel that whatever I post here is ignored or falls on deaf ears.

Not so much deaf ears as ears with a different perspective I suppose. Yes, there are issues, but my approach is to bug-report on gitlab and make my own, personal evaluation of pro et con. The day the scale tips and Im no longer on team Murene, you wont find me posting here.