Switch Your Privacy On with Murena 2

So it is.

BTW: I would like to see these switches after two years of daily use. I even don’t trust the durableness of my power button and use the WaveUp app to protect it.

1 Like

PinePhone and PinePhone Pro also :wink:

1 Like

You can get this type of information in the FAQ of the kickstarter page.

Is the Murena 2’s battery removable?

Sadly no it isn’t. We plan to have instructions available to make it easy to replace.

Is the phone 5G or 4G compatible?

This phone is compatible with 4G LTE networks. Making it 5G compatible would be a complete different ball game. Maybe for a future project, who knows…

1 Like

Unfortunately, I don’t see any information regarding the OS support.
How long will it be supported ? 2-3 years, more ?
This should be indicated and publically announced in the kickstarter page.

On the Kickstarter page again:

Last but not least, let’s not forget the software support. We update /e/OS monthly to include bug fixes and security patches.

We aim to go beyond the industry standards by supporting this phone for 5 years of software support and surely even more. With /e/OS, we still support select phones that have been introduced 10 years ago.

I think the warranty conditions are the same as on the Murena store (https://murena.com/fr/boutique/smartphones/neuf/murena-one/#warranty).

1 Like

You are right, this was the last sentence on the first page :sweat_smile:
But does it mean the kernel will also be supported for 5 years ?

Most of Android custom roms don’t update the kernel software but only AOSP / Android layer.

1 Like

not sure if that´s a fair comparison but my old iPhone 5s proves that it is very well possible to build pretty durable hardware-switches of that sort (as it used to be in very frequent use for minimum 5 years to switch on/off phone sounds). I assume it´ll depend on whether that switch design was designed from scratch into the phone design or rather flanged onto some already existing finished design … but of course I see that my statement does not answer your scepticism :slight_smile: only time will tell

1 Like

They say “You can install any of your favorite apps.”
Doesn’t mean 100% of them would work 100% of the time given the degoogled nature of /e/OS … but you can install them.

Well, they actually even say, right above (citation) : “All your favorite apps without restriction”.
Which is beyond “fair” marketing in my opinion :frowning:.
Anyway, this hardware switches are a good idea :slight_smile:

That Librem 5 has pretty low end hardware in it. Murena 2 looks like it’s only 4G. Pretty fair specs otherwise.

The Librem 5 is from 2019, the roll-out has been delayed for almost a year if I remember well. But this doesn’t matter at all. I never said it’s better or you should buy it instead. What I said was: it has hardware switches since it’s birth. And even this one was probably not the first device. And hardware switches seem to be the new, mind breaking aspect of this Murena 2.

1 Like

Honestly I think a decision to go with 4g only isn’t going to be a marketing success in the US. At least why not release a US version that supports mmwave and 5g?

I’m pretty puzzled by the very low bar set for the kickstarter campaign. I mean taking into account ~500 Euros per device the total amount is for ~50 pieces (more actually with the discounts). Surely this is only a fraction of the phones to be ordered by Murena but still… this seems VERY low to me.
This campaign has been set with “200%” chances to succeed. Maybe a publicity campaign in disguise ?! 30 days for the campaign needs ~2 phones per day and taking into account the large number of big discounts that was bound to succeed.
I personally do not like anything from this phone with the exceptions that it is running the nicest OS for phones and that it has no 5G.
Why has Murena not tried to aim much higher with a different MOQ for lower price? I think a normal 300 Euro price would have easily yelded at least 5 times the quantity (I’d say 10-20 or even more).
Are there any info available on the number of Murena 1 sold? They might have wanted to play it really safe due to very low succes of Murena 1?

Anyway I’m glad the campaing it’s a succes for Murena and I hope that I might be interested in Murena 3.

Are you serious ? You got a be kidding me. 5g is the technological development and should never be disregarded

Yes, I’m a serious electrical engineer. We’re living in an electromagnetic soup in which 5G are among the worst ingredients.
There are plenty of studies on 5G (honest or paid)… feel free to believe what you want but please don’t flag posts for nothing.
As for Murena 2 not having 5G that might have to do more with the hardware choice rather than an intentional omission, but I’m really glad Murena 2 doesn’t have 5G… if you dont have it you can’t use it.

2 Likes

Hm, only having 4G is definitely a step backwards. However, maybe I missed that information, but is anything known about the Chipset? Is it Qualcomm, Mediatek, which CPU?

For what it’s a step backwards ? Because it take 10 sec to download an app instead of 5 with the 5G.

4 Likes

I agree: download speed (currently) is totally sufficient with 4G. But download speed is only one aspect of 5G, stability is another. Technically spoken, 4G is the present, whereas 5G ist the future (e.g. no/less need of cell phone masts etc)
However, I am more interested in some details about the specs of the hardware: It is said to be a high-end phone, however some details about the chipset and the camera-specs would be nice.

1 Like

I call BS here. Nothing scientific has shown potential harm.

If you wanna fearmonger, at least make the effort of providing some references.

2 Likes

Interesting this topic turns into a 5G debate (that none of our respective governments were willing to have with the population btw). A bit off-topic.

Whether it harms or not, do we want to live in a world where our kids will get 10G or whatever, with bigger and more powerful antennas everywhere so that they can stream faster and faster, changing phone all the time to remain compatible? Not my view of a sustainable and enjoyable future.

5 Likes

Yes of course, but for now for smartphone, is useless.