Synching issues with gmail accounts

Thanks for your reply, I am new to /e/ and I uploaded the log and screenshots of the error just in case it might be of any help. If you think this is a relatively bad idea, I will remove them.

Glad to hear that I am not the only one facing this issue, I am currently receiving so many error messages (every 2-3minutes) related to these issues that I haven’t been able to turn the sound on yet (way to annoying)…

I think it depends where you put your security/privacy standards.

From your logs, I can already link 3 of your google accounts with your e.email account (that’s for the privacy side of things). Now is it feasible to use the tokens present in this log to hack into your accounts… I don’t know, they may (should) have a relatively short-time validity. I wouldn’t just take the risk (that’s for the security side of things…)

For the problem we face, I am new to this forum, so reading around… On my side as I do not update my address book every 2 min, I did set the update interval to its max (don’t remember where I did that), but that’s just clearly a (bad) work-around…

Initially I think I did at some point remove the notification permission to the app, but that’s even worse as completely masking the real problem.

Okay thanks you for the precision, I wasn’t aware that it was this risky to update the log, I will remove them straight away.

I will also temporarilly adjust the update interval, but I hope the developers find a workaround to this issue…

Is it also the case for you that it only relates to specific calendars but not all of them (from one of your G accounts) ? In my case only 2 of them are returning the errors.

I have the exact same issue: I receive “Address Book […] Authentication failed” for both my GMail accounts.

Apparently, the notification comes from an HTTP PUT request to https://apidata.googleusercontent.com/carddav/v1/principals/.... attempting to put the VCARD data of a new contact I created on my phone. But the HTTP response code is 401.

How can I help resolve this issue?

2 Likes

Do you also have similar issues with synching specific calendars?
The only way for me to synch one of my google calendar is to remove the account and add it back again…

the error also comes from:

Request{method=PROPFIND, url=https://apidata.googleusercontent.com/caldav/v2/XXX%40gmail.com/events/, tags={}}
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?><propfind xmlns="DAV:" xmlns:CAL="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:caldav" xmlns:CARD="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:carddav"><prop><resourcetype /><current-user-privilege-set /><displayname /><CARD:addressbook-description /><CARD:supported-address-data /><CAL:calendar-description /><n0:calendar-color xmlns:n0="http://apple.com/ns/ical/" /><CAL:supported-calendar-component-set /><n1:source xmlns:n1="http://calendarserver.org/ns/" /></prop></propfind>

while the HTTP response code is also 401…

Yep.

Calendars sync also fails both ways. I tried using a Google “app password” but it won’t let me. Somehow it’s like the Google Auth fails after some time.

1 Like

@Manoj could you please raise an issue on GitLab, it seems that I am not the only one encountering this issue?

Many thanks

@Wichtc91 issue created here:

3 Likes

I updated my Fairphone 3 to /e/ OS 0.15-20210317106351 yesterday and the problem is unfortunately still there… no synching is happening upwards or downwards with my gmail calendars.
Was it supposed to be fixed in this new build @Manoj ?

Many thanks

Resetting my gmail account fixed the synchronization issue, but I lost all my calendar data (locally on the phone, not synchronized earlier)… Is there a way to retrieve it?

The latest update fixed the calendar sync issue as far I am concerned.

The address book sync issues with the errors notifications ate still a thing though.

Hi,
having encountered the same notification issue about contacts sync, I ran into the following advice, as a workaround :
set up google contacts sync via the app DAVx⁵ … and it is currently working for me.

The guidelines to perform this are here.

In DAVx⁵, you will be able to disable the calendar sync, if only the contacts are concerned.
To complement these steps, do not forget to disable the google contacts sync in the account settings of your phone.

Regards

1 Like

I’ve tried to use this workaround for accessing the calendar. I can succsessfully log in, but for some reason DavX5 will only let me sync contacts. There’s no checkbox not calendars. Very odd. :face_with_monocle:

When using the system-account settings to add a dav-account (which seems to be identical to DavX5 anyway) it seems to work at first. Login works, I am able to choose to sync calendars. BUT: the calendars will not appear in the calendar app.

There appear to be two layers of settings. When I enter the settings system/accounts I can press "Account-Synchronisation, and there is only a checkbox for “addressbook” (first level) Again, other checkboxes such as “tasks” or “calendar” are missing. However, when I press “Account extra-settings” I seem to access a second setting-level, with Carddav / Caldav / Webcal Tabs. IN the Caldav-Tab it looks like I can sync the various calendars of my google properly. But no help. The calendars will not appear in the calendar-app.

Is it possible that the settings at the first level are blocking actually the transfer of calendar-data from the second level. Because on the second level I do have a choice of my google calendars, so basic access to google server should be working ???

I wish it was as easy as with thunderbird. There, synching with google-calendar via webcal-standard is quite straight-forward.

I’ve opened an issue about the problem just above: Access to Google-Calendar via CalDAV-API fails (#3856) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab

1 Like

Hi xof.e,

sorry for the delay…

I may have done a different way than you : I setup the Dav synchro through the DAVx5 application (thanks to URL info from DAVx5 tutorial, see my previous link), which then defined itself the settings in the system.

That way, I ended up with the following accounts shown in the system-accounts-settings, presented this way :

(1)
Address Book (me@gmail.com)
Carnet d’adresses DAVx5

(2)
me@gmail.com
DAVx5

(3)
me@gmail.com
Google

Diving into those accounts, I have :
(1) only contacts : ensure activated
(2) both calendar and contacts : ensure activated
(3) both calendar and contacts (and more …) : ensure disabled

Note that for my part, I’m syncing Contacts from Google, but Calendar from another CalDav service (also thanks to DAVx5) : both contacts and calendar tabs are available in DAVx5 for activation/deactivation.

Regards

1 Like

Hi jcbss

Thank you very much for your time and detailed decription.

The accounts you describe are very familiar to me. It didn’t matter wether I’ve tried to set up directly through system settings or through the davx5 app, I always got these three seperate accounts. (which is a curious thing by itself: why on earth are we getting these redundant account settings?). As I needed to sync calendar only, I basically went through each account, unchecking everything but calendar. Same as you, just for a different sync-item basically. Then it worked. For a while. And suddenly syncing stopped.

So I dare making a prediction :crystal_ball::

1.in about three to five weeks time, your address book will suddenly stop syncing with google. You’ll get notification errors in the notification on top of the screen.

2.You can get it working again by deleting the accounts and creating them anew. It’s easy, somehow /e/ has saved the credentials and it’s just a matter of a couple clicks, and the three accounts are there again. But then you will need to go through the settings of each account again and change it to your choice.

3.After a while, this frequent re-installation of the accounts will be annoying and you’ll try to avoid these google accounts.

Please let me know in a month or so, if my prediction was wrong :slight_smile:

p.s. same thing happened with my workround through iCal access. It worked for a few weeks, now I’m getting sync-errors.

I too have this issue. Gmail account setup via Add Account >> Google. Works right away then fails over time. Alerting every few minutes. Samsung S9+ eOS installed via eOS Installer.

Just setup DavX5 and got the same Authentication Error. Gmail 2FA is setup now as instructed by DavX5

I’m getting these notifications as well: “HTTP server error — HTTP 404” over and over again, for all of my Gmail accounts and their respective presence in my Address Book. MicroG services seems to be okay, though (for now, at least).

Temporary fix is to delete your gmail accounts and reset them after nearly each /e/OS update… Haven’t had this HTTP 404 issue on my side for quite some time though, finger crossed.