Synching issues with gmail accounts

I’ve tried to use this workaround for accessing the calendar. I can succsessfully log in, but for some reason DavX5 will only let me sync contacts. There’s no checkbox not calendars. Very odd. :face_with_monocle:

When using the system-account settings to add a dav-account (which seems to be identical to DavX5 anyway) it seems to work at first. Login works, I am able to choose to sync calendars. BUT: the calendars will not appear in the calendar app.

There appear to be two layers of settings. When I enter the settings system/accounts I can press "Account-Synchronisation, and there is only a checkbox for “addressbook” (first level) Again, other checkboxes such as “tasks” or “calendar” are missing. However, when I press “Account extra-settings” I seem to access a second setting-level, with Carddav / Caldav / Webcal Tabs. IN the Caldav-Tab it looks like I can sync the various calendars of my google properly. But no help. The calendars will not appear in the calendar-app.

Is it possible that the settings at the first level are blocking actually the transfer of calendar-data from the second level. Because on the second level I do have a choice of my google calendars, so basic access to google server should be working ???

I wish it was as easy as with thunderbird. There, synching with google-calendar via webcal-standard is quite straight-forward.

I’ve opened an issue about the problem just above: Access to Google-Calendar via CalDAV-API fails (#3856) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab

1 Like

Hi xof.e,

sorry for the delay…

I may have done a different way than you : I setup the Dav synchro through the DAVx5 application (thanks to URL info from DAVx5 tutorial, see my previous link), which then defined itself the settings in the system.

That way, I ended up with the following accounts shown in the system-accounts-settings, presented this way :

(1)
Address Book (me@gmail.com)
Carnet d’adresses DAVx5

(2)
me@gmail.com
DAVx5

(3)
me@gmail.com
Google

Diving into those accounts, I have :
(1) only contacts : ensure activated
(2) both calendar and contacts : ensure activated
(3) both calendar and contacts (and more …) : ensure disabled

Note that for my part, I’m syncing Contacts from Google, but Calendar from another CalDav service (also thanks to DAVx5) : both contacts and calendar tabs are available in DAVx5 for activation/deactivation.

Regards

1 Like

Hi jcbss

Thank you very much for your time and detailed decription.

The accounts you describe are very familiar to me. It didn’t matter wether I’ve tried to set up directly through system settings or through the davx5 app, I always got these three seperate accounts. (which is a curious thing by itself: why on earth are we getting these redundant account settings?). As I needed to sync calendar only, I basically went through each account, unchecking everything but calendar. Same as you, just for a different sync-item basically. Then it worked. For a while. And suddenly syncing stopped.

So I dare making a prediction :crystal_ball::

1.in about three to five weeks time, your address book will suddenly stop syncing with google. You’ll get notification errors in the notification on top of the screen.

2.You can get it working again by deleting the accounts and creating them anew. It’s easy, somehow /e/ has saved the credentials and it’s just a matter of a couple clicks, and the three accounts are there again. But then you will need to go through the settings of each account again and change it to your choice.

3.After a while, this frequent re-installation of the accounts will be annoying and you’ll try to avoid these google accounts.

Please let me know in a month or so, if my prediction was wrong :slight_smile:

p.s. same thing happened with my workround through iCal access. It worked for a few weeks, now I’m getting sync-errors.

I too have this issue. Gmail account setup via Add Account >> Google. Works right away then fails over time. Alerting every few minutes. Samsung S9+ eOS installed via eOS Installer.

Just setup DavX5 and got the same Authentication Error. Gmail 2FA is setup now as instructed by DavX5

I’m getting these notifications as well: “HTTP server error — HTTP 404” over and over again, for all of my Gmail accounts and their respective presence in my Address Book. MicroG services seems to be okay, though (for now, at least).

Temporary fix is to delete your gmail accounts and reset them after nearly each /e/OS update… Haven’t had this HTTP 404 issue on my side for quite some time though, finger crossed.