It seems to have become difficult to create an account with (the official) Telegram.
(Request to pay for SMS) (even if one already has the account activated in another session)
Is this restricted to us users of /e/OS ?
Or is this a general problem for all?
Have some of you - who had the problem - been able to overcome this difficulty?
How did you make it?
I read on different threads on this forum that it’s not possible to create/register an account with a open source Telegram…
But what if one already has the account (especially on a non degoogled device)?
I tried with the option “Logged into Gmail account system-wide” activated in AppLounge - with no positive effect.
I was wondering if using a version of (official) Telegram older than a year (from uptodown for instance) or even older would allow to circumvent this restriction - later updating the older version back to the present version.
What do you think?
So how’s the procedure?
Do the named apps (Mercurygram, Forkgram) have to be installed besides Telegram (and they look for all the data from Telegram directories locally to start with)?
Or do you install them as stand-alones and you just give them your phone number and they go & fetch everything that belongs to your account from Telegram servers?
Or else?
What about this rule I read about here (in older threads '21 through '23, if I’m not mistaken), that you can’t create a new account with the above named open source apps: is it true? Or has it changed? Is it also true in case you want to create a second account?
Well I think it’s all I need to know for now… to try & test it…
If there is anything else I need to know, please let me know!
If you already have an account then just install ForkGram from App Lounge & it’ll recover all your account data from telegram servers. Nothing else needed & yes, it can be used to set up a new account too.
I just replaced phones (FP3 to Gigaset GS6), both with /e/ OS.
When changing over, the passcode was sent on Telegram and received on the old phone. This could be entered into Telegram on the new phone and it works.
But: I remember having kind of a problem to get Telegram working when changing to another client on the same phone. It simply did not receive the SMS with the code. I don’t remember how I solved it.
I use also forks of Telegram: On previous phone Telegram FOSS. This I couldn’t find anymore to install on new phone. Without a lot of research, I installed Goregram. Please let me know if this was a good decision or not.
Goregram & Mercurygram, both forked from FOSS-Telegram, & available from the App Lounge are both good choices. Forkgram, is the closest to the upstream, official client. Use whichever you prefer or both.