Teracube 2e Default /e/ OS review

Hey all,

I’m on Mint mobile and purchased the Tera 2e with /e/ os by default, I’m coming from the iPhone SE 2020 and here were my initial impressions:

PROS:

• OS functions well, visually stunning app icons, really love this as an Apple user
  • Magic Earth: ran it side by side with google maps and turn by turn was spot on
    *Fingerprint scanner is very snappy/responsive, quickly unlocks phone
    *App store has a good selection of apps
  • It’s anti-Google, that’s awesome

CONS:

• I live in a very rural area and Mint does not offer wifi calling/texting for this device, this was the biggest issue for me as I can hardly get any signal at my home at all.
  • Processor has some drag, I noticed it stuttering while playing Jurassic world and scrolling through the YouTube app
  • Camera: app had issues in low lighting and light streaking coming from windows where the sun was shining.
    *Camera: app has a lot of options, that’s fine and everything but coming from Apple, I’d like to be able to just point and shoot and use the extra features if I want, not because I need to in order to get the right shot.
  • Magic earths robot voice is pretty bad, we did get some laughs from it tho.
  • No default password manager??
  • Some apps in the store said they weren’t compatible with my device, only made for older devices.
    *Keyboard: I had to really slow myself down when typing as the keyboard only recognized one finger at a time, never realized I don’t fully remove one finger before pressing another down.

I realize some of the issues above were probably hardware related, but thought the were worth mentioning. I love what /e/ stands for and what they’re trying to accomplish.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online services](https://e.foundation/)**phone

6 Likes

I see that Mint uses LTE frequencies B2 (1900 PCS), B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1) , B12 (700 ac), B66 (1700/2100), and B71 (600).

Teracube’s specs indicate it can use LTE B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B7, B12, B17, and B20, so it matches 3 out of 5 of the Mint LTE frequencies, which isn’t bad. If I had to guess I’d say it’s probably the lack of B71 that lessens your coverage. Lower LTE frequencies cover longer ranges, I think. Theoretically B12 should have been good enough.

AT&T and MVNOs that use AT&T’s network operate on these LTE freqs:
B2 (1900 PCS), B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1), B17 (700 bc), B30 (2300 WCS), so they might not be any better for your location. ( They might not qualify your phone for VoLTE anyway, meaning no activation with them. I stand corrected: AT&T allows this device: PDF https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf)

By the way, are you getting VoLTE with Mint Mobile now?

You might try installing a different keyboard and see if that performs better. I use OpenBoard from the F-Droid store, and it performs well. You can switch back and forth between any keyboards you install, within the phone settings.

Yes voLTE was enabled, but 90% of the time I had no bars and couldn’t call or text at all. When I went to the city though, I had no issues.

1 Like

For YouTube use NewPipe ) Excellent app!

2 Likes

I would also recommend New Pipe instead of YouTube :smiley:

Does anyone know if Teracube 2e with /e/ os preinstalled on board is going to be available in Europe as well?

(sorry if this is not the best topic for my question :sweat_smile: )

1 Like

As per my information Teracube is not available in Europe. /e/ cannot introduce a device into a market where the vendor does not already sell it. Even on device already available in a particular region we have to check if /e/ OS on it works on all local networks.
These are factors we have to consider before introducing new devices.

Ok, this sounds reasonable. However from what I saw on Teracube’s website or Indiegogo this phone with Googled android is shipped from Germany in European countries :thinking: so maybe there is some hope :relaxed:

You can use keepassdx as password manager

You can choose another voice in magic earth. It works for navigation, but alerts still use the ugly robotic voice.

1 Like

Hi @RazorTalon ,
What version of /e/ did this phone ship with? Did you have to update to Q yourself?
Thanks!

The ugly robotic voice comes from the TTS engine “eSpeak”. It’s possible to replace it by another like Flite or IVONA with this procedure : Alternative to eSpeak? - #14 by pmoody

2 Likes

Not in Europe/Germany. No way…

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.