Thoughts on eSIM

Hello,

I have some positive experience using /e/ on an older device, and now I’m thinking of trying it on a somewhat newer one. In practical terms, I’m choosing between Samsung Galaxy S10e (/e/, LineageOS) and Google Pixel 4a (/e/, LineageOS), leaning towards the latter despite its poorer camera, due to eSIM support: I just think I might want that.

What is your stance on eSIM technology in general and its implementation in Google Pixel 4a in particular? (Won’t a Pixel, as a US device, refuse to support non-US carriers? Because those are all I’m planning to be using, so far)

Here’s what a Wikipedia article has to say on advantages and disadvantages of eSIM technology, so far:

Advantages
• Several SIMs can be stored at the same time.
• No need to obtain, store, and insert/eject (and lose) small physical SIMs.
• If the phone is stolen, it can be tracked by “find my phone” services, while a physical SIM can be removed.
• The risk of damaging a SIM socket’s delicate contacts inserting and removing a SIM is eliminated.

Disadvantages
• If a phone is broken, anything restricted to the eSIM’s network becomes inaccessible; in particular, calls cannot be received, and resources (calls, SMS, data) paid for cannot be used. A physical SIM can be transferred from a broken to a working phone.
• The eSIM, which allows communications to be made and charged to the account-holder, cannot be removed if having the phone repaired, or lending it to someone.
• The phone’s location can always be tracked if switched on; functions such as camera, WiFi Web use, playing stored videos, etc. cannot be used untrackably by removing the SIM.
• eSIM accounts must be deleted or transferred from a phone which is sold or disposed of.
• Compatibility issues with some phones, e.g. US phones that do not accept eSIMs from other countries.

What do you think?

I use an eSim from a swiss provider with Pixel 4a and eOS without any problems.

Advantages and dissadvantages I can’t comment :sweat_smile:.