TMobile LTE Bands & Phones for use in USA

@HellsBells, @egx470 I have only owned Xperias, so I can’t comment on the phones in the table, except to say that I personally would never buy a phone without a micro-SD card slot; what with all the music, photos, videos, emails, messages, and apps one accumulates, the hard drive will fill up faster than expected.

I would go for the brand that’s easy to unlock and has good, continuing /e/OS (and Lineage) support.

1 Like

Back of the envelope math here, my N10 has a 128GB onboard storage and a 512GB microSD. Of that 640GB, it’s using 80GB, which would leave about 48 gb to work with on a 128GB, assuming /e/ itself took up the same level of space that a standard Android install does. I could make that work, but I agree with Taurus, a microSD is preferable. (Music would be the main problem though. Podcasts get deleted upon completion, photos get backed up to Plex (and eventually Proton Drive), and I’ve learned to do more with less in terms of apps as a result of /e/.)

2 Likes

A microSD also makes it trivial to move all your stuff to a different phone when you need to.

Thanks for this thread. Are there any other similar phones you came across other than these few that meet the same criteria or were close?

I’ve been using the S9 and I think the bands its missing are causing problems. Other than that I’d love to find something as big or even smaller without the damn curved screen edges.

1 Like

I would start by checking the list of official and unofficial /e/ builds in the forum, then cross-reference your short list with VoLTE-capability on your network. You’ll have to search online for the model number + “VoLTE” and see what turns up. Or ask your carrier if it will work; you won’t yet have the IMEI, so you can’t use their online compatibility checker.

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I’m basically on T-Mobile now (Ting) thus my question…

2 Likes

You can also use this site to check how a phone’s frequency bands line up with T-mobile’s (or any MVNO that runs on T-mobile), or any of the other carriers:

Use the device compatibility checker to enter the model number of the phone. Keep in mind, that site doesn’t consider VoLTE, so make sure you confirm that first.

2 Likes

Honestly a chart like the one in the first post for each carrier would be a great resource for /e/ to provide.

2 Likes

@egx470 as long as the OP is an A6013, it will work, correct?
I found an A6013 that’s 256GB (not saying where, cause I’m selfish like that), which will give me some breathing room on the storage space issue. My post on selling the S9s is generating some interest, so I might roll with the 6T as a primary and the G7+ as a backup device (maybe even keep the N10 in case I REALLY need legit Android).

Yes, should , that is the model I have mine is just 128GB.:+1:

@HellsBells

Also I wanted to let you know that you may need to go into your NextDNS UI and manually block this tracker :point_right: click.oneplus.cn . It was getting home but is now blocked after manually adding it to the denylist. I verified using this tool👇

https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/src/adblock.html

Thank you! This will be blocked naturally on my shiny new 6T running /e/, however, yes?

This was on my 6T running /e/. That host was not being blocked. Just look for it using that tool and manually add it via the NextDNS UI👇

A somewhat related discussion, implied by your question:

1 Like

Well there you go. Interesting its “.cn” going home to China. Its now blocked. Crazy how invasive phones can be. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

@cornfarmer does this help👇? From my experience the lack of VoLTE is the biggest culprit for call/SMS issues. Of course you also want most bands covered.

1 Like

It sure does, thanks for the link. I’ve been looking to replace the S9 for other reasons and this makes it more compelling.

1 Like

Hey folks, I’ve been up & running a few days with a Moto G7 plus, what is the ideal ‘preferred network type’ under mobile settings? There’s over 30 choices on my phone, a lot of them LTE plus a combination if others…

My phone shows GSM/WCDMA/LTE (PRL) when I have “LTE preferred” selected in the settings.

(Edited to fix my confusion!)

My Moto G7 shows the same choice as shown on your screen grab.

1 Like