To install /e/ pie on Essential PH-1 (Q) or not?

Hello,
Essential PH-1 (mata) now has Android 10 installed, build QQ1A… /e/ has ‘pie’ version for mata. Just want to make sure I understand this installation warning correctly:

Warning : Do not attempt to downgrade your smartphone in case you are on Android Q / LOS 17.0 or Android Pie / LOS 16.x.

Downgrading a device from Q or Pie to Oreo or Nougat operating system can cause your device to brick and become unusable.

I would be downgrading Q to Pie, but not to Oreo or Nougat. Would that still be an issue/not recommended?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hello @sarunas your question is very similar to → this one.

@sancho said: "so just to tell you that I passed (not without problems but it’s good). I’m thrilled "

Not exactly /e/OS related, but… with Essential stock Android Q I wasn’t able to boot into TWRP recovery (I think it wasn’t being installed successfully). After flashing Android Pie from Essential, TWRP sideloaded correctly and installing /e/OS (‘pie for mata’) went fine.

Oct 23, 2019 TWRP and Android 10

Long story short, TWRP support for Android 10 is going to take a while.

1 Like

Pie limits wifi scans. Makes off-line locating depend on GPS. Q removes the limit.

LineageOS updates work with basic recovery. Who needs TWRP?

I don’t know. /e/OS install instructions suggest custom recovery…

Me.I appreciate the work of “The LineageOS Project” very much and also sponsor individual maintainers. But while LOS’ own recovery does serve its OTA update purpose, touch-based TWRP is miles ahead both visually and in functionality.

The Team Win Recovery Project Update 2.1 from 1.1.x in 2012 has heralded a big change. Now only the 100% Android support is lacking.