Tracker Control vs VPN : how to choose?

I did a quick peek at the TC github repo, as far as i can see it also uses “hosts files”

and
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OxfordHCC/tracker-control-android/a75f3f6e45c99a8fbdc040f834e55928d0b4a053/app/src/main/assets/hosts.txt

So not sure why TC can do the job better. (don’t mean to bash TC, just curious)

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, more learning…so TC is using these resouces “mozilla-services”?

Mozilla and their “own” hosts file, extracted from apps as far as i understand.

1 Like

Is there a TC dev here that could dumb it down a bit for those like me?

Adding more tools to the pot. Have no experience with the following item.

On the topic of DNS changing I saw mention of an app called Nebulo (from Frostnerd) awhile back. Sounds like yet another tool to consider. Though it uses a local VPN slot it can also be used in non-VPN ways and possibly together with other apps.

Available from their Git, their own F-Droid repo, Play/Aurora Store, and /e/ Apps.

PublicAndroidApps / Nebulo · GitLab

1 Like

@XjFred Nope… You’re not. Have a look. :frowning:

1 Like

I asked on their Telegram support, tracker-control-android/xray-blacklist.json at master · OxfordHCC/tracker-control-android · GitHub is the file containing domains extracted from apps. Together with the hosts file and the json from Mozilla would sum all domains blocked.

1 Like

xray-blacklist.json, host file, json from Mozilla: from your view is this giving more tracker protection than what you are seeing within the blocklists you are currently using with NextDNS (or Quad9/RethinkDNS/DNSCrypt not used to block trackers, only encrypt)? Im trying to understand the pros and cons of each solution. Thanks.

*Also trying to understand the impact of the blocking taking place locally at the VPN slot vs at DNS servers. The packets from the phone to the DNS are encrypted and I would think the tracking info would be contained therein so I don’t see how the trackers could get “home” unless they went undetected when decrypted by DNS and routed vs blocked.

*Thinking, its likely the preference of having local control (TC) of blocking vs that info being sent to a “trusted” entity (DNS).

Can’t say, therefore i’d have to query nextdns with all domains in the combined list from TC, and all domains in the nextdns block lists in TC.

Someone has to have done this. I’m gonna see if I can find it somewhere on the web. If I knew how I would do it.

Correct me if I am wrong but this setup on a non-root device would leave the VPN slot open for TC since the VPN configuration is through Shadowsocks/InviZible, correct?

If correct:

1. How will this setup impact TC, ie will TC still work or does DNScrypt impact TC like other DNS’ :point_down:

1A. List item

1. Anyone tried this with ProtonVPN? Does it work with Shadowsocks?

You can’t use TC + Proton as both apps use the VPN slot. If I’m wrong, tell me, I have both of them.

1 Like

After reading up I was under the impression that Shadowsocks Foss was a proxy using the said VPN’s settings and then this connection would be utilized by InviZible in VPN mode (no VPN slot usage, done through settings in app by encrypting and routing traffic via InviZible connection). Guess I need to better understand how these 3 all work together but I am not seeing a great write up on it.

After reading up on these tools, especially InviZible, I see that when @marcdw speaks (types) one would be wise to listen (read).

In that configuration, InviZible was using the VPN slot, Shadowsocks’ Service mode is set to “Proxy only”. It’s a bit confusing, too. There are two setups where Shadowsocks can be used with InviZible as the VPN. Already I’ve forgotten which one I used but I believe it was the TOR over VPN.

Using InviZible alongside with VPN

Tor over VPN

TrackerControl (as the VPN) is currently being used with InviZible (in Proxy mode) again. Would be nice if in the future there could be a way for TC to act as a proxy to a regular VPN.

Proxy mode (no root required)

Thanks for replying. Can you help me understand this. I am still missing something here. What I am missing is what role Surfshark plays.

I have read these tutorials at InviZible. Guess I need to keep reading and experimenting. I’m missing something.

I feel you. I have read over and over those tutorials and still confused on exactly what’s going on.
Surfshark is the VPN service I use with Shadowsocks. Once setup and connected I believe InviZible passes the Shadowsocks connection through itself and out to the world. Correction, the other way around more likely. InviZible routes traffic out through Shadowsocks. There’s been a time or two, after a reboot, where Shadowsocks didn’t reconnect and I had no internet connection. Tutorial mentions being able to split/route traffic depending on how one sets things up. Through TOR, through VPN service / shadowsocks, or bypass and connect directly. ???
Regardless, when I consult the various IP checker sites they do indeed see the IP provided by Surfshark and not my ISP (T-Mobile).

I think now I’m going to have to start over and test both of those setups.

1 Like

I just found this article and have read it once. It helps differentiate Shadowsocks vs VPN. I need to let my mind rest and reread a few more times till I can simply explain it to others. Thanks for the help.

"Can I combine Shadowsocks with a VPN?

Such a refreshing combination. Like a perfect cocktail on a hot summer afternoon. Combining these two ingredients, one perfect for online freedom, and the other one ideal for privacy, it results in the unstoppable Shadowsocks VPN solution.

As you can easily conclude, when you use both VPN and Shadowsocks, you enjoy the perks of these two technologies all at once."

EDIT: From what I gather, maybe I am incorrect?, I don’t have a need to bypass any firewalls and thus possibly don’t have use for Shadowsocks FOSS. This makes me wonder what else I would need Shadowsocks for? I must say all the Transylvania talk brought me back to the NES 8-bit days of my younger years, Castlevania. :slightly_smiling_face: I guess maybe it adds another layer of anonymity by tunneling a connection to a different geozone?

Some other worthy info for those needing it. This is referenced in the previous article.

*Not a fan of the end… Click bait VPN solutions. Nevertheless helped me understand more.

Interesting read… Others are working on this as you obviously see with your (@huuhaa ) ending comment

https://github.com/OxfordHCC/tracker-control-android/issues/61

That is in an interesting discussion. I’ve been thinking along those lines, if I can somehow chain TC with shadowsocks or some other VPN/util that implements/has proxy support built in.
My return to TC with InviZible was short-lived and I went back to shadowsocks/InviZible combo. Finding the right setup on an unrooted device takes some work. You’ve been doing a lot of research on this so I’ve been paying close attention. :slight_smile:

1 Like