Trouble installing on Pixel 4 with easy installer

I have tried several times, and the installation fails on the ‘Recovery Installation Step’, with the entry in the log

Blockquote2023-05-16 16:18:30,157 DEBUG [Thread-11] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1]
(debug)Sending ‘boot_b’ (65536 KB) FAILED (Write to device failed in SendBuffer() (no link))

Blockquote
I posted the wholel log at the website linked for documents.
The Pixel 4 has Android 13 installed
On the easy installer doc, and on screen when using the istaller, it does not say anywhere that you need Android 12 installed. On the advanced instructions for the Pixel 4, it does say that.
Could that be the problem, that I need to downgrade the Pixel 4 to Anroid 12, or is an Android 13 version coming soon enough?

Hello @richardurban

With the easy-installer, usually the stable version will be installed. For the Pixel 4 that would be S (Android 12). To rule out your assumption, you would need to have a lower security patch than eOS has. I don’t know if your error means that but it is a common issue people have

There is a android flash tool with which you could downgrade.

https://flash.android.com/

Edit: S is not 13, it is 12 .

This week /e/OS at Android 13, T, was confirmed ETA next month for Pixel 4 flame:

However the stable build for Easy Installer will not be released till “later”.

Perhaps you could share the url where you posted your log. Without sight of your log, to expand on @mihi “you would need to have a lower security patch than eOS has.”

Downgrade and SPL

I believe today Easy Installer would attempt to install
e-1.10-s-20230422278810-stable-flame.zip – is Android S.

We see here https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/releases/-/releases

This /e/OS v1.10 includes the Android security patches available until March.

It is likely within a few days /e/OS the latest build moves up to version 1.11

This /e/OS v1.11 includes the Android security patches available until April.

If you choose your download to Android 12, S, you should ensure that you do not take an SPL in advance of that which is offered by Easy Installer, or else you will still risk refusal on the basis that you are attempting to down grade SPL.

In summary

Easy Installer will not down grade either Android version nor SPL.

Here are three of the logs from three different attempts: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aj5ekHDYOaCiirkexUrxa9vmIFexSQ?e=f45AqH.

If I understand the above threads, if I wait till next month, a version compatible with Android 13 will be available in the easy installer.

Thank you for sharing the logs. In the three logs nothing productive happens. There are many repeats of

List of devices attached 
2023-05-16 15:12:00,132 INFO [Thread-9] e.e.i.t.DeviceDetectionTask [null:-1]   waiting
2023-05-16 15:12:02,382 INFO [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.s.DeviceDetectedController [null:-1] startDetection()
2023-05-16 15:12:02,383 INFO [Thread-10] e.e.i.t.DeviceDetectionTask [null:-1] runADBDevicesCmd(): 
2023-05-16 15:12:02,383 DEBUG [Thread-10] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1] updateParameters(), Parameters = {1=devices, 2=-l}
2023-05-16 15:12:02,384 DEBUG [Thread-10] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1] getFullCmd(), full command =  [cmd.exe, /c, ""C:\Program Files\easy-installer\bin\adb\adb" "devices" "-l""]
2023-05-16 15:12:02,449 DEBUG [Thread-10] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1] 
  (debug)List of devices attached
2023-05-16 15:12:02,453 DEBUG [Thread-10] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1] Exit value = 0

2023-05-16 15:12:02,453 DEBUG [Thread-10] e.e.i.t.DeviceDetectionTask [null:-1]  raw shell outputs

Basically adb devices seems to fail to detect the device – nothing further will happen in this case.

I feel that view is over optimistic

We are very early in the cycle – stable builds require testing – “later” is a hyperlink to the very best information from /e/ support.

The installer does change the Pixel 4 to fast boot mode (I think that is the right term) and unlocks the boot loader.
Are these things different than what you mention above, that the log shows the phone is not detected?

This is strange as fastboot is not mentioned in any of the 3 logs you shared.

Have you run the installer multiple times already ?

It fits with your description that in an earlier Easy Installer run where I have not seen the log that

• Easy Installer succeeded in unlocking the phone.

When this happens the device resets completely, this will disable USB debugging, this would account for the logs you shared showing “fail to detect the device”.

Is the device now fully working and operational in its original firmware ?

If your phone is on Android 13, T, I recommend that you do not try to carry on with Easy Installer,

Yes the phone is working with the original Android installed. It just gives a warning that the bootloader is unlocked. I am not currently using the device. I still want to install e/os in the future, though.

And yes, there were several previous attempts to install e/os, so your description is correct.