Trying to install eos on Fairphone 4

I’ve read a few threads by people having similar difficulties but still can’t find a solution so I would really appreciate help..

I’m running Linux mint

I’ve tried the e/os web installer multiple times, as well as manual installation. After downloading, I get the following:

[ An error occurred while trying to unlock or check the bootloader. Make sure oem unlocking is enabled in developer options, then try again.

Device does not report as unlocked (expected “Device critical unlocked: true”) ]

I think this might have something to do with the fact that oem unlocking is toggled off and greyed out (so no option to toggle on) with status: Bootloader already unlocked

[fastboot oem device-info] yields waiting for any device

[fastboot oem_unlock] yields (bootloader) verity mode:true, (bootloader) Device unlocked: true, (bootloader) Device ciritical unlocked: false, (bootloader) charger screen enabled:false

[fastboot get_unlock_data] yields fastboot: usage: unknown command get_unlock_data

[fastboot flashing unlock] yields FAILED (remote: ‘Device already unlocked!’)

[fastboot flashing unlock_critical] yields FAILED (remote: flashing unlock is not allowed)

These are commands i’ve gleaned from various how to fix it threads but i don’t actually know what i’m doing with this stuff. Can anyone help??

Firstly

fastboot --version

if <~37 update platform-tools.

Caution: The default adb installation on OS like Ubuntu can be outdated and can cause errors.

Please read fully.

On a fairphone this state (unlocked but critical remains locked) is bad news unless you made a simple mistake. This for instance describes what you should have tried.

https://droidwin.com/flashing-unlock-is-not-allowed-fix/

Just for cross-reference:

1 Like

this is also my post

1 Like

I downloaded the latest platform tools yesterday so it is up to date

I have already seen the site you linked to

https://droidwin.com/flashing-unlock-is-not-allowed-fix/

but because it is not describing linux, I hesitated at:

1.To begin with, root your device using Magisk/KernelSU/APatch app.

Is it safe to follow those instructions?

could you clarify what “bad news” means?

I suggest no. While some phones would respond to this, I have no knowledge whether it would benefit FP4.

Do you know the full history of the phone? Do you know for certain when the “Factory unlock code” was applied? Do you know when it may last have been locked or unlocked?

The state you describe could happen when the phone was previously unlocked and then not correctly locked resulting in the “greyed out” OEM unlock.

I bought the phone second hand from cex so don’t know it’s history. But it was me who applied the factory unlock code and unlocked it. Is there no way of resetting it and starting again?

Did you save all the terminal output from the unlock stage?

Can you be sure that the phone was locked before you started? Was there any possibility of an error which might indicate that the Factory code was not accepted perfectly correctly?

Can you review whether there was any step where you did not follow the exact order of instructions?

If you recently updated platform-tools is it possible that the unlock was done with an older fastboot version resulting in some fail?

Meanwhile the Faiphone forum thread may be able to help with the method via rooting.

I followed installation instructions exactly, they’re not too complicated. But I have been trying repeatedly, from an ubuntu machine, a chromebook and via mint , so in all those attempts it could be i’ve done something i shouldn’t have.

I downloaded platform tools specifically, so would have been up to date

the rooting instructions on the FP thread are beyond me, which probably means that rooting is beyond me. Is there no way to restore the phone to how it was and start again?

The ultimate way is to have the phone reimaged by Fairphone at a cost of ~60€.

I suggest to continue in the good hands of the Fairphone forum guys to suggest any way “to go back” or to try to understand rooting.

ok thanks for your help

This is the fundamenal problem.

After Factory reset, allow USB debugging has to be allowed again (in the case that the correct process is interupted).

Are you able to check if the toggle is still greyed out with the phone online, either Wi-Fi or SIM.

usb debugging is allowed

phone is on wi fi

oem unlocking is off (but bootloader is unlocked) and greyed out

1 Like