Unable to transfer any data from iOS to /e/OS

I have bought a Fairphone 4 with Murena /e/OS

I encounter the following problems:

• Setting up Murena email: my username is already in use from when I tried before, my backup email (gmail) is already in use from when I tried before, but I have not received initial confirmation email to my gmail nor any lost password reminders. I am therefore unable to use murena to import contacts etc.
  • When following Android advice on setting up new phone via data cable connection to existing iPhone, the option does not appear to do this when installing /e/OS.
  • WhatsApp: using WhatsApp on iPhone’s ‘transfer to Android’ function does not work as the required alert message on the new phone does not trigger.
  • I am unable to set up the file sharing via USB from my Fairphone to my Windows laptop to access the files exported from iCloud as per Migrate to /e/OS. My laptop can see the file structure when USB fileshare is enabled, but I cannot switch to “connected device control” on the phone and so cannot paste any files into the phone storange from the laptop.
  • the App iSync available for the Fairphone is just a portal to iCloud and does not help transfer any data such as contacts. The Notes section doesn’t display properly so I can’t even copy and paste them into Notes app.

I am seriously considering returning this Fairphone and getting one with a standard install of Andriod, not e/OS/. I have not managed to do a single thing in terms of setting up the phone in the way I would like.

Valuable feedback. I can see the frustration, none of the gateways seem open to you.

The most lowkey and minimal migration is mailing the contacts (.vcf) to yourself when you setup at least Wifi + Email on the phone.

Or if have a murena Account on the phone working (not the data migration): directly importing the .vcf through the Contacts Webapp on murena.io (lower left → settings symbol).

Stockrom (as in normal Android) migration methods for iOS → Android I wouldn’t expect to work, though I’d have been 50/50 on Whatsapp’s own method too and tried. You are leaving well funded corporations.

Hi, thank you for the reply - I appreciate you taking the time.

The most lowkey and minimal migration is mailing the contacts (.vcf) to yourself when you setup at least Wifi + Email on the phone.
Yes, this will work for contacts. It won’t work for Notes (on both iCloud account and Google account as I have both), for photos, for the app and text histories that I saw steps to able to migrated when I picked the switch to Android – perhaps my error was picking this advanced Android version rather than an out of the box version?

Or if have a murena Account on the phone working (not the data migration): directly importing the .vcf through the Contacts Webapp on murena.io (lower left → settings symbol).
I cannot access my Murena account as I cannot reset the password. The password was created when I did the initial setup on the phone; and no I have no idea what it was; despite being able to see the account there I could not see the password to login to the web. When I request a password reset I do not get the email, despite knowing that my email was registered correctly because I cannot register again with the same email.

Stockrom (as in normal Android) migration methods for iOS → Android I wouldn’t expect to work, though I’d have been 50/50 on Whatsapp’s own method too and tried. You are leaving well funded corporations.
Perhaps my misunderstanding was that Murena’s e/OS/ was at least still Android-based, and therefore guidance such as https://www.android.com/intl/en_uk/switch-to-android/ would work. It was this guidance that made me comfortable to switch from iPhone to Android but perhaps I’d be better off with the standard OS that comes with Fairphone, and the above would work?

perhaps my error was picking this advanced Android version

possibly - it will break with user expectations. Most users arrive at /e/OS (or any of the many open Android forks) with the primary intent to cut ties with mandatory connected services. If that isn’t high on your priorities or at all, normal Android is fine, especially if you like the Google services.

Some find a make-or-break component that causes them to move back to proprietary/vendor-Android: the odd banking or insurance App. There will be more friction, only worth it if you have an active interest in it.

It won’t work for Notes, for photos, for the app and text histories

Notes: markdown is the universal currency. For icloud Exporter could do this. Photos you’d need to copy those over. No text history migration (great one, as in input history / custom dictionary? haven’t thought of this before!). In general when going down that route, you’d be well advised to take some responsibility in backups: what if the connected service screws up?

Murena account login: you can ask helpdesk@murena.com in resolving this - if there is a loop in the onboarding flow that users can’t recover from it’d be good for them to know.

Other users seem happy with other hosted nextclouds to tether their devices to or proton.me.

I’d look at the return policy and decide if you want to have that degree of independence. It isn’t how Android was meant to be used from a commercial platform perspective.

2 Likes