Unihertz Atom Request

Supported Android: Android 9
Other ROM: Unknown
Maintained? Unknown
ROM official or unofficial: Unknown
URLs on XDA or other forums where the device custom ROM’s are available: Unknown
Known Issues: Unknown

Other: I’m not sure what else to add on this phone and I don’t know all of the details. I welcome help by others in adding this request. I just believe this little phone is deserving of consideration for being supported by /e/OS. There are currently no mini (ie. reasonably sized) phones that I can see that are supported by /e/OS. This rugged mini phone by Unihertz is a great candidate.

one can find build repos for the 2020 Unihertz Atom L and XL but none for the 2018 “Atom” predecessor, only a general thread at xda and twrp instructions.

The L/XL are P60 Helio devices, the “Atom” is a Helio P23 / MT6763 device.

I think it’s not possible to make a /e/ build as of now.

1 Like

tcecyk, thank you for replying to my post. I don’t know what “build repos” or “Helio devices” are, but I’m glad that someone responded to this request who may be more knowledgeable. I’m sad to hear that you believe it’s not possible to make /e/OS compatible with the Atom phone.

Technically speaking, I don’t think the Atom is a predecessor to the L and XL. What I mean to say is that it was not “replaced” by those phones. Though it did predate those models, the Atom is a standalone “mini phone” with a 2.45" screen, whereas the L and XL are both larger phones closer to what has (unfortunately) become the mainstream. The Atom has its own unique market and is still available for sale today.

Aside from perhaps demand, are there other reasons why you believe it’s not possible to make /e/OS compatible with the Atom?

Thank you for your time.

You’d need a champion with your device to at least make the port, then any builder picking up the device tree can make an /e/ build on top. This is a bit of work, especially testing the build. So it’s not impossible, but as of now, not straightforward.

The unofficial builds of the L/XL versions that I see on xda use a prebuilt vendor kernel image that they patch into. That works but bars it from easy kernel backport fixes and making it an officially supported device. Similar could apply for the Atom if the vendor doesn’t release kernel sources.

(Why did I mention used System-on-a-Chip? It’s easier to introduce a sibling device by the same vendor and SoC that already saw a port. For the mt6763 that is inside the Atom there are a few build and fewer kernel repositories, but not by Unihertz)

1 Like